Loss of a loved one

Alexis' POV

I crouch in a corner of an abandoned building waiting for my sister Chloe to chase the demon out of his hidding. This demon has been killing people in an easy way, simple and clean. Makes it look like any man could do it. Just slitting their throats and tossing them aside. But what the cops don't know is the demons are taking more than what meets the eye. You see, demons like collecting souls, it's like money to them. They trade them, torture them, anything they want. They just take them and they dont care who's they are. That's where we come in. We find them, shoot them with our special arrows and boom, they're back where they came from. Easy enough. The hard part is not having a place to call home. Moving around is like a punishment, but who else is going to do it? Who would want to do it?

"Hey, don't you run away from me!" I hear Chloe yell. The door bursts open and out comes a man.

These annoying idiots. They take a normal man and wear it like a suit. We used to not use the arrows because we wanted to save the people but that didn't turn out so well. When the demon left they also left the body broken. So we would exorcise the demon and the person would only have a few seconds before they died. So we get to see all the pain on their faces and we can't do anything about it.

I push myself up and run in front of the demon. He stops and turns around. Chloe comes out of the room and points her crossbow at it.

"Well that wasn't nice to put a table in my way." Chloe says breathlessly with a smile.

He kicks a bottle at Chloe and she has to dodge. He makes a break for it and I just roll my eyes. I reach to my back, pull out my loaded crossbow and fire. It goes right through the back of his head and out his forehead. He drops to his knees then falls to the side.

"Nice shot. But you should have cleared the area."

Well there's Chloe for you. Can't give a compliment without criticism. I just nod.

"Lets move him and get out of here. It smells like burnt rubber."

We move him to the side of the building and I take the arrow out. These things aren't cheap I can tell you that.

"When did Mom say she was going to be back?" I ask as we walk out.

"She said possibly tonight. I hope she gets that freaking demon. He's killed about 16 people already."

I nod.

"You're quiet tonight. What's on your mind?" Chloe looks over at me worried.

"It's nothing. Really, don't worry about it. Can we get some icecream?"

"Not untill you tell me what is on your mind. You are never quiet, you're always smiling and happy. Despite what we've gone through."

"Fine. I think Leon likes me." I say so fast I won't be surprised if she doesn't get it.

"Well duh. He always wants to be by you. And I'm not suprised, we've known them for about nine years. Everyone ends up liking you cuz you're so happy and easygoing. You seriously didn't notice?"

I look over at her, she has no freckles, which I have a lot of. She has the same black hair as our mom while I have golden brown like our dad. She has a pointed nose and well defined cheek bones. She is skinny and walks like she doesn't care what you think of her. To sum her up in one word, bold.

I look away and see the sun rising. The sky turns pink, orange, and yellow. I watch it as the colors mix and match. The sky finally turns to blue and the other colors go away.

"Earth to Lexi!"

I shake my head and blink a couple times. I look over at Chloe and she laughs.