Chapter 1

“Bye dad,” I shouted over my shoulder as the door slammed shut behind me. The wind swept through my hair and lifted my peach colored dress above my knees. Fall was on the way.

Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot. It should have been as easy as counting to 10, but for some reason it wasn’t My feet stayed stoic, like they were superglued to the pavement of my run down driveway. It’s just another normal day, I told myself. But I knew it was a lie. It had been a year since the accident, but today was special. Today was her birthday.

I finally picked up my feet and started walking. Somehow they lead me here, to the cemetery. I walked the familiar pebbled path down the old, green hill, passing the sprinkled graves as they went. I passed old Mrs. Hathgrow, she had been here for forever. And I passed little Blakey boy, he had died when he was seven of leukemia. My heart felt a twang with each victim that I passed.

I knew it was stupid and selfish. Principal Roland had already warned me that if I skipped again, I would have the world in detention slips. It didn’t matter anyway, just because I would have been in spanish class does not mean I would have paid any attention. It was her birthday.

I hadn’t been here since before Aronn left. Yeah, yeah, yeah my older brother is “the” Aronn Gaste. Popular, talented, and just all around perfect. Yeah, no. My delinquent of a brother decided to take off last week on a journey to, and I quote, “find himself.” Who even does that anymore, I mean, its not the eighties Aronn, its two thousand freaking eleven. Some people actually take free scholarships to Ivy league colleges and make a life. But thats alright Aronn, you just go and have fun. I will stay here and work my ass off for dad, Ari, and Auna.

By now there were tears streaming down my face. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed if I hadn’t tasted the saltiness of my eye water on my tongue. I sat down and leaned against the blooming, weeping willow that sprawled over her grave. I took one look at the stone that read “Madeline Gaste” and lost it all over again. I must have been crying for half an hour. It was her birthday and I hadn’t even brought her a present.

a/n

Heyyy everybody! Soooo this is my first book ever and I'm really not expecting much from it. For whoever stumbled across this story and wants to read it I really hope you enjoy! I wrote this book because I have been having ideas for a book like this for a while now and figured hey why not? I know the first chapter was super short and I didn't really explain much, but it gets better I promise. The chapters will be getting longer too. Any questions or comments that you would like to share, just go for it! I will read each and every one and I greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to give me criticism! Happy reading

xoxo ~ Autum