Chapter Two

"Kenma, what's your relationship with that shrimp from Karasuno?"

Kenma's eyes widened in shock as he almost dropped the psp in his hands. Quickly enough, he calmed down and shook his head a bit as to signalize Kuroo that it was nothing worth mentioning.

"We're just good friends, that's all."

Kuroo narrowed his eyes as he felt how his heart was sinking a bit. Surely, he was just imagining things, right? But why was he feeling this way, then? He wasn't sure why, but his urge to protect Kenma was growing with each passing second.

The tall male with raven hair glanced away and nodded quickly as if he was trying to convince himself that his gut feeling was fooling him. However, he couldn't fool himself, he had never been good at that and he probably would never be. Getting up with a swift motion, he looked down at his precious setter and put on a smirk that suited him oh so well.

Kenma was one of those people who couldn't be fooled by his smirk. He hurt nobody but himself by bottling his feelings up like that, but then again, Kenma didn't even know what Kuroo was dealing with these days. Blaming himself for what happened in his childhood was something the rooster head did quite often, but the blonde teenager wasn't too sure whether that was the only thing concerning him, or not. He got up, still holding onto his psp as he followed the one who was leading the way home.

To Kuroo, Kenma felt like home. Sometimes, Kenma was tough to handle since he could be quite stubborn, but there was something lovely about him he just really liked. Plus, he liked the challenges that came with having Kenma as a friend. Making sure he'd eat regularly, would go to sleep at reasonable times and would come to volleyball practice with him were things he did quite often, but those were things he didn't mind doing. Those were things he actually did with joy, things that made his days better.

Eventually, the two childhood friends arrived at the younger boy's house, something Kuroo hated. That was when he couldn't spend time with Kenma any longer, nor make sure he wouldn't play video games all night long.

"Alright, see you tomorrow then." Kenma said and approached his front door, fiddling with his keys and already focusing on the lock. Kuroo was tempted to hold him back and tell him something, but what was it that he wanted to tell him so badly? It wasn't the periodic table, that's for sure. After a few seconds, it was too late. Kenma had already stepped into the hallway of his home, closing the door behind himself and leaving Kuroo standing there, right in front of the door. Somehow, an aching feeling started spreading inside Kuroo's heart. He couldn't explain what was going on, his passion was chemistry and not psychology. Kuroo was good at reading others, but reading himself was a true challenge he hadn't quite succeeded in yet.

Biting his bottom lip in hesitation, Kuroo turned around and took slow steps, walking away from Kenma's front door. With each step, the distance between them got bigger, but it somehow felt as if that distance wasn't only physical. The tall captain clenched his fists and forced himself to make his way home as quickly as possible. While he was walking, he automatically pulled out his phone and looked at the chat history of Kenma and himself.

«I'm in front of your door >:)»

«Hold up, I'm on my way.»

A smile crept up on Kuroo's face. Even though Kenma was laid-back and stubborn personality, he respected Kuroo a lot. It was probably due to the fact that they were quite close and because Kenma was aware that Kuroo wouldn't ever leave him alone, but not in an annoying way. Kenma did act like he was annoyed of him sometimes, but he never really was, right? After all, Kuroo was a half of a pair, with the other half being Kenma. That was how Kuroo viewed his friendship with Kenma, at least.

Suddenly, a loud noise could be heard that kind of sounded like a bonk. Kuroo had been lost in his thoughts to the point where he ran into a pole. Rubbing his forehead and cursing himself quietly, he wondered why he let his emotions take over his brain like that. Usually, he was a quite rational and responsible person, so why was he acting like that right now? What was the point in overthinking about something that wasn't in his hands? Questions were rushing through his head as he quickly kept on walking towards his house.

Before he went to his room, he took off his shoes, greeted his father and rushed up the stairs. The sound of his door closing was heavier and louder than usual. It covered up the fact that something else was loud and heavy as well: Kuroo's sobbing.