The Sorting Hat

You stand outside of the big wooden doors, waiting for Professor Dumbledore to call your name so you can be sorting

"And on that note, we have a new student. Ladies and Gentlemen, please Welcome, Y/N Potter" you hear Dumbledore through the door. You shove them wide open and strut like a badass between the table and up to the chair in the front.

The only noise in the Great Hall is the hushed mummering of students and all eyes are on you as you sit down on the chair. Professor Mcgonagall places an old brown hat on your head and steps away.

"Mh another Potter" the hat speaks, "Lets see, kind and loyal, brave and true. But what is this, conning and smart. You know what you want and you know just how to get it, you have your own mark as well" he starts, "Leave that out please" you think and he does just that, "I see great potential and the will to work" he continues, all eyes still staring at you, "You would do well there, but there is alway the latter, mh" The hat stops for a second before continuing, "I think that it will be,-- no that's not right, then it's --- no that's not right either"

You look at Harry at the Gryffindor table, worry is written all over his face. No one has ever taken this long to be sorted before, why couldn't he just make up his mind.

"At first glance you are underestimated, but when people get to know you they see the exterior of your self portrait crack. You are not one for rules and your magic is impressive" Come on just pick already, "Yes, yes that's it, SLYTHERIN" the hat yells and the rooms whispers get louder.

No one moves for a second, probably wondering how a Potter was a Slytherin. Someone could drop a paper and it would boom. You sit uncomfortably in the seat, suddenly, the table in the far right corner erupts in applause and yells of victory.

You stand and walk over to the table, sitting at the beginning of it, the girl next to you turns to you, "Welcome to Slytherin" she says warmly before extending her hand. "Demi, Demi Whitewood" she introduces herself

You take her hand and shake it, "Y/N Potter" you say back and she smiles

Dumbledore gets the students attention again and starts a speech, "Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts, now I'd like to say a few words before--" you zone out after the first 5 seconds of it

"So, how was your summer?" Demi asks.

You liked her already, she didn't ask about how it was being a Potter, or what Harry was doing, she wanted to know about you.

"It was good, got in some trouble tho, U?" you ask back

"It was fun, my mom showed me some new spells that I can't wait to try out" she said excitedly

You and Demi talked for a while until Dumbledore finished his speech and food appeared on the table, right as it did, there was a hand on your shoulder. You look back to see your brother looking at you expectantly.

"Can I help you?" you ak annoyed

"Can we talk, please"

"No im good"

"Y/N, come on" Harry grabs you robe and literally pulls you from your seat and into the halls

"Wow, harsh much" you flick his hand off you when your in the hallway

"What happened?" he asks with worry and a little, um, fear in his voice?

"What do you mean?"

"The hat took so long to place you, I think it made a mistake"

"What do you mean Harry?" you ask with a 'get to the point' voice

"You can't be in Slytherin" he yells without thinking