Back to Reality- Part 1

I looked around the store and adjusted my hoodie. I slipped a can of spray paint out of my bag. My sneakers squeaked on the tiled floor. I heard the monotonous chatter of people entering the store.

'I should get this done quick' I told myself.

I grabbed the black spray and covered my mouth with the respirator mask. I drew a quick symbol on the bare wall.

MQ

That was my name. Macy Quinn. I had visited this store for almost a decade now. I had been demonstrating my art for almost 2 years, still people never liked it. Now that I mention it, people never liked anything I did. Not even my parents. That's why I had run away from home. We would get into fights over nothing. One day, I decided I couldn't take it anymore. I packed my bags and left. I didn't expect anyone to come find me, and they never did. Good riddance.

"Hey! Get away from that wall!"

I turned and saw a security guard running towards me.

"Oh crap" I whispered as I shoved the spray cans in my bag.

I shouldered it and took off. Luckily, I knew all the exits out of this place. The security guard seemed new. I sprinted towards the back door and slammed it open. I almost crashed into the garbage man outside, but I was nimble. I leapt over the guy's head and back flipped off of a wall. I regained my balance and took off towards the street.

I didn't stop running until I could see my street. I looked up and saw the same tree I sat by every day. My sleeping bag was tucked away in the higher branches, out of reach. Yeah, I was homeless. What did you expect? I reached in my bag and took out my uniform. I was a waitress at a diner. I couldn't afford to rent a house, much less buy it. Sometimes, it felt like the world was doing this to me on purpose, like it wanted me to hurt. I pushed the thought out of my head. I was late for my job.

I rushed to the nearest public restroom and changed. The door banged as I left.

"Sorry I'm late Mr. Dee" I pushed the diner door open.

"That's five times this week Macy!" Mr. Dee yelled. "Next time, you're out"

"Yeah, yeah" I gestured lazily.

Mr. Dee was always threatening to fire me. He hadn't done it in 2 years. It must've been his short-term memory impairment. Whatever it was, I was grateful for this job. I grabbed a few menus and rushed over to serve the customers.

"What will you have sir?" I asked a guy politely.

"Gimme some bacon waffles" he grunted.

"Ok" I said. "Syrup with that?"

"What do you think shorty?" he snapped.

I held my breath for ten whole seconds before responding.

"Ok" I smiled. "Be right back"

I kicked the kitchen door open and slammed my hands on the serving table. Why did people have to act so salty? What had I ever done to them?

"Hey Macy"

I turned and saw Mr. Dee standing at the door.

"Yes Mr. Dee?" I asked, expecting some kind words of wisdom.

"Get back to work!" Mr. Dee shouted instead.

I sniffed and chuckled to myself. At least Mr. Dee was the same. I grabbed the menu and started serving tables. Time chugged on and before I knew it, it was 3:00 O'clock in the afternoon. I checked out of my shift and walked out of the diner.