1."When Do We Leave?"

I stared at my iPhone 6 waiting for it to vibrate. I was practically expecting my best friend Paisley to text me saying she wanted to hang out. This was basically what I did every day since I didn't have any other friends. Nobody else wanted to befriend a gay boy. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you- I'm gay, and being the only out senior kid in your high school really sucks because that's your gateway ticket into getting bullied.

As I slowly gazed off, my phone buzzed. I quickly unlocked the screen and pulled up Paisley's text.

Paisley: Hey what you up to?

Me: What else could I be doing? NOTHING. Why do you ask?

Paisley: Well, I was hoping we could do something together.

Me: Sure, what kind of something?

Paisley: Just meet me @ my house ASAP. It's a surprise :).

Weirded out, I put on my oversized jeans jacket and white converse and skipped down the stairs.

"HEY! WHERE YOU GOING?!" Poppers hollered out as he saw me walk past the kitchen.

"I'm just going to Paisley's house. Chill out." I said as I opened the front door.

"You better be back by 6:00 or I swear I will bea-"

I slammed the door shut behind me as I started to walk up the block. Poppers is my foster dad. I've lived with him ever since both of my parents died in a fire 12 years ago. As you can tell, we don't really get along.

As I walked up to Paisley's mint green home, I could already smell her mother's homemade mashed potatoes. I knocked and as always. Mrs. Walsh kindly greeted me and invited me into her home. Once I got in, Paisley was already waiting for me on the stairs. She quickly grabbed my hand and dragged me up the stairs to her room. She threw me on her water bed, looking very confident.

"Ok, before I say anything, just know that I thought a lot about it ok?"

Confused, I replied back like I understood.

"Great. So here's the deal- you don't do anything. All you do is either stay home or hang out with me."

"Ok...so what's your point?" I asked somewhat annoyed.

"My point is that we should go on a... uh... trip." She said nervously.

"Trip? What kind of trip?"

I was clueless but sort of interested.

"A road trip. To California," she said excitedly. "We can go to Coachella, you know that music festival, and we can have fun and we can mee-"

"ROAD TRIP?! CALI?!" I suddenly became uninterested.

"Oh come on Aiden. We're in the middle of senior year, and we haven't done anything scandalous in our lives before. We need to break the rules at least once. And I know how much you hate Poppers, so this trip will be doing you a favor."

She did have a point.

"Well," I said taking it into consideration.

"I have always wanted to leave this crappy town.."

I had a little smirk on my face.

"YAY! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!" Paisley exclaimed as she hugged me so hard I could barely breathe.

This was the one time in my life that I actually felt proud. That I was actually going to have some type of fun. That I was actually making a decision of my own.

"So," I asked proudly,

"When do we leave?"