Fever

• Dedicated to T.E.N.N

3-14-1620

My daddy says that the mayor should be killed.  I asked him why, and he told me that he was hiding medicine and keeping it for himself. I don’t know if he is right though. Mr. Joen seems so nice Mr. Joen is our mayor. If Mr. Joen is killed, Mr. Kainerablelittle will be made mayor. I hope my daddy is not right about Mr. Joen being bad. Just today, he gave me a sugar stick. It was so sweet. I don’t mind him at all.

3-15-1620

Today was really scary. A bunch of men, including my father, went out to burn Mr. Joen’s house down. They grabbed their lighters, and marched over their, chanting all the way “Down with the mayor. Down with the mayor. Down with the mayor!” They marched right to the middle of the town, where the Mr. Joen’s house is, and lit the bushes on fire, which led to the house. Mrs. Joen and two of her children were inside. They  were burned alive.

3-16-1620

Mr. Joen and his 6 year old  son, Charlie and Charlotte, his 3 year old daughter are staying at the Sanfrangeo’s house now. When they heard of the incident, they were horrified. He remains mayor, so he is still in danger. My father did not even explain when he came home last night. I had to get information my best friend, Nira. She has yellow fever.

3-17-1620

My mother and sister, Isabella, has yellow fever. Just last night, Nira died of it. My mother and sister need attention constantly. I just got them both to sleep. My father still goes to work, but he must come home earlier than he is used to. I must go, my sister just woke up and she is crying. Lord, help us now!

3-18-1620

I am very weak. My skin is flaky, so that the skin peels right off. My eyes grow slowly yellow. I have heard that a man shed so much skin, he bled so much more than half his body was scabs. My sister grows weaker by the minute. I heard that the mayor has hidden supplies that can clear up yellow fever. He is one of the few people who actually don’t have it. Quite peculiar.

3-19-1620

Isabella died last night.

3-20-1620

My dad buried Isabella today just at the edge of the camp. Mother does not yet know what has happened. We shall tell tomorrow.

3-21-1620

My coughing has turned into choking and gagging. I can only squeak a word to my father here and there. My mother is alive, but sleeps night and day. I am not half as bad as my mother is, so I still am able to do the chores. We got word from Father’s co-workers that they are planning to kill the mayor tomorrow at sundown.

3-22-1620

We broke the new to mother. She died while crying.

3-23-1620

Mr. Joen died last night, along with his daughter and son.

3-24-1620

Father does not speak. I do not speak. We do not speak for, we are afraid to cry. When my father cries, I cry and when I cry, I cough. I cannot stop coughing once I start.

Dear Person Entitled to read this,

My daughter, Madison Millie Minrowin died December 25th of yellow fever. I found her diary today, August 23rd, 1620. She was my life. I loved her with all my life. After my wife died, and my other daughter, Isabella all I had was my Sweet little Madison. But when she passed away, I didn’t see any reason to live. But I kept going. Telling myself that Madison was looking down on me, and proud. I am refuse to marry, and will work had till the day I die, and see her again.

                                         Sincerely Yours,

                                                Edward Minrowin