Chapter 32: homecoming

Nicole pov

I've just landed back in California, ready to sing the National Anthem for the first time ever. I decided not to stop by at home just so I won't bump into people so I got off at LAX. I walk up to my hotel suite and rush to get in the door because my phone is ringing.

As I get through the door I search through my bag looking for my phone. I grab it just before she hangs up.

"Hey chica wassup?"

"Please come to homecoming. It won't be the same without you"

"You'll be alright without me Kay plus-"

"Don't tell me you not around, I know you singing at the lakers game"

"You stalking a bitch? But that's not the point. I don't wanna see erryone"

"Why because of Shay's loose pussy? Na bitch you better come"

"He broke mi corazón"

"Don't you start speaking Spanish you know I don't understand that shit."

"Don't get me annoyed then Kayree. Puta"

"You forgot you told me. I know that means bitch"

"Well you throw it around all the time"

"Yeah cause all my girls my bitches but you cussing right now"

"Look I'll think about it okay?"

"All I ask. Bye errybody just got here" she hangs up.

-----

Markus picks me up in my car in the afternoon around 4:30pm.

"Boy who said you can drive my merc?"

"Yo mama" I side eye him and kiss my teeth.

"How ya' been cola?"

"I been aight.. August's brother died so I was busy with allat."

"Damn. I heard."

"No love from the cops man"

"They ain't caught nobody who put 6 shots through someone?" I sigh. We arrive at the Staples center. We get our passes and make our way through. I'm welcomed by some of the players. Kobe comes out and Markus damn near faints. I shake hands with him.

"Hey nicole right?"

"Yeah. Kobe right?" I say and he chuckles.

"This is my best friend Markus, he's at usc for basketball" they dap each other up. He signs markus' ball.

"Good luck with singing"

"Good luck with balling" I smile up at him as he walks away. Markus looks Ecstatic. We head into the backstage room.

Two hours later I'm introduced.

"Please welcome Nicole Westbrooks singing the national anthem at the Los Angeles Lakers vs Brooklyn Nets l" every time my name is said I get scared. I walk out smiling and waving. I'm handed a mic as I step onto the court.

"Oh, say can you see, By the dawn's early light, What so proudly we hailed. At the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, Through the perilous fight, O'er the ramparts we watched, Were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, The bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night That our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled Banner yet wave O'er the land of the free And the home of the brave? " I sing and earn a massive round of applause. I walk off the court and sit beside Markus.