Summer's Beginnings

The campers of the Oak Hall Summer Camp were often over-excited about attending. Somehow, the program has managed to build quite the name for itself, and now attracted campers from across the globe. There were always squeals of joy that came with first arriving, getting cabin assignments, and doing new activities. For Dream—as the counselor was affectionately called—it had all become tradition, or rather, practically routine.

Dream arrived the prior evening alongside the other counselors in order to prepare for this year's hoard of campers. After a night's rest on the same upper bunk in Counselor Cabin 2, the sun had begun to rise and was now peering through the blinds. Dream awoke with a start as an object thudded against his face. The counselor groaned, confused and disgruntled as he removed the foreign object off of his face and rubbed his eyes. As Dream started to blink his eyes open, the boy suddenly became startled as he spotted a figure in front of him, causing him to sit up fairly quickly in his bunk. Once he took in his surroundings more, Dream shook his head.

"Come on, Sap. Seriously?" Dream questioned, his words supported by a slight chuckle. Sapnap—a fellow counselor and good friend of Dream—smiled mischievously.

"Good morning sleepyhead," the fellow counselor sung, pleased with his actions.

"Wha- what did you even hit me with?" Dream asked, looking around.

"A pillow," Sapnap responded as Dream locked eyes with the sack of fluff, now laying on the ground.

"Of course."

"Oh please, you know I'm better than any alarm clock, especially on the first day of summer camp. You have to admit, it was a nice throw."

Dream rolled his eyes dramatically and pulled the blanket off of his lap before climbing down the ladder of the bunks. From there, he swiftly picked up the weaponized pillow, made his best attempt at punching it into a ball. Satisfied, Dream glanced at the pillow, took one look at Sapnap, and then chucked it at him like a dodgeball. Sapnap, not expecting it, momentarily lost his balance, which sent Dream into a fit of laughter.

"Now I know never to wake a sleeping Dream," Sapnap declared. "Don't I even get a 'hello'? By the time I arrived last night, you were already asleep."

"Hello," said a voice from behind the two. Both Dream and Sapnap turned around to see their friend George on the adjacent bottom bunk, his head now off of the mattress. 

"George!" Sapnap exclaimed excitedly.

"Sapnap!" George said with a matched level of energy. "Sorry I missed you last night, I was already asleep."

"Oh, you're always asleep," Dream retorted, making his way back into the conversation. "You were out before I was last night... again."

"Glad to see that not much has changed since last summer," Sapnap remarked jokingly.

"Last summer?" Dream repeated, becoming louder. "George fell asleep when we were on a call together on Wednesday. I was starting to try and pack while he was on the line, and all of the sudden I hear him murmuring to himself or something, and then he was just out."

Sapnap began to chuckle as both of the boys directed their eyes towards George, who was now sitting on the bunk with a light blanket wrapped around himself. George rolled his eyes and scoffed at the conversation, which then led to him joining into the laughter. After a moment, Dream glanced at the analog clock which was attached to the wall of their cabin.

"Oh my gosh, we've got to get going!" Dream practically shouted, rushing to grab his counselor t-shirt and a pair of shorts from his duffel bag. 

Sapnap was the next to catch on. He headed over to George's bunk and ripped the blanket off of him before grabbing onto his arms. "Come on, George, let's go!" Sapnap practically screeched, his voice cracking. 

"Let go of me, Sapnap. I'm getting up," George responded, now fully immersed in the energy of the trio. After a few minutes, all three of the counselors were in almost identical outfits and ready to embark on their journey. 

"To the campgrounds," Dream declared in an adventurous manner, lowering his voice and causing George and Sapnap to laugh.

"TO THE CAMPGROUNDS!" the two others repeated with incredible enthusiasm. 

And so the trio made their first steps of the summer out of the cabin in order to make last minute preparations for the official start of yet another hectic, average, wacky, routine summer.