Chapter 1

*tick tick tick*

I stare at the clock. Am I really gonna do this? Am I really gonna marry him?
*buzz*
I quickly get up from my chair to get my phone. God I hope it's him. I sigh in disappointment, it's my friend Natashi.

Tashi: Hey wifey to be! Are you done being anti-social? I'm outside.

I quickly go downstairs to open the front door.
Heyy girly you ready for to night? Tashi says as she walks the door. I thought that we could- what the hell are you wearing? She puts her hands on her hips. Uhh sweat pants? I said I just wanted a night in with you and V not really wanting to going out. I say as I walk to the kitchen and pours wine. You can't stay inside it's your bachelorette party you gotta have one last night as a free woman.

Free woman? I think to myself. What would I give to be free again. This life, this marriage, it's not what I wanted. My freedom was taken from me as soon as I took my first breath.

I laugh at Tashi as I hand her a glass of wine. You know in this life we are never free. What are you talking about? You're the daughter of one of the most powerful men of Westford. Not to mention uh hello you're marrying a Santino, from what I've read their family is loaded. She takes a sip of wine.

Exactly my point, my life has been planned out for me. When my mom left my dad was a mess. I remember catching him in his office one night and he threw his wedding ring at the wall and cried. The next day he sent me away to a private boring school, he had me shipped literally out of his life in hopes that I what become one of those brainless, money hungry leaches? I can't do that. That's not me.

Tashi puts her glass on the coffee and takes my hands in hers. Listen to me Iris, you are smart, funny, loyal, and most importantly my best friend. You fought for your seat at that table. You deserve to be in every one of those meetings. They call you the enforcer for a reason. None of that was planned, it was all you, you just have to believe that you are the badass everyone knows you are. She wipes off the tears on my face. Now let's go get you changed, V is waiting for us at the bar.

THE NEXT NIGHT....

You absolutely have outdone yourself this time Josh. I don't even know what to say. I say as I lean on the balcony of our room looking over the garden with all the guests. What do you mean Iris do you not like it? Is this not what you wanted? I quickly turn my head to look at him.

No of course not, it's just better than I imagined. Josh laughs. Babe, I told you when we started planning that you were gonna have the wedding of your dreams did I not? You did bu- he cuts me off and kisses me. No buts, I said what I said and I meant it. Now stop being ungrateful. I am not! I'm just shocked that you'd do all of this for me. I'd do anything for you. I love you. And I love you.

There's a sudden knock at the door. Who is it? Josh asks. It's Luca sir, there's something you should see. He quickly turns to me with apologetic eyes. I know he has to leave, he's the future heir to the Santino legacy. I nod, he gives me a quick kiss on the forehead, and he's gone. I quickly look for my phone to text Tashi and V.

Me: aaaaaand he's gone 👍🏾

V: What do you mean he's gone? What did you do?

Tashi: so much for a wedding night? What did you do?

Me: 🤦🏾‍♀️ thanks for the vote of confidence guys but no. Luca came and got him. He said that there was something important.

Tashi: and why didn't you go with him MRS. Santino??

V: right? Like aren't you supposed to be at his side at all times?

Me: I've tried in the past, he doesn't want me to worry my pretty little head 😑

V: soooo is this thing over orrrrrr? Cuz I'm ready to work if y'all are 🤷🏻‍♀️

Me: no V I trust him, besides I should get some sleep it's my wedding after all...

Tashi: Did she really js?

V: yup

I smile at my phone as v and Tashi fuss at me through text. I decided to text Josh to let him know I was going to sleep. This is the first of many nights alone.