People say God exists, but do they?

Over the course of life, one hears the words of many saints, sees what they believe to miracles and reads hundreds of books, but none is able to answer the one question which had stimulated them to consult the saints and books and stories of miracles in the first place - the ultimate question of life (whose answer is not 42, by the way) - the question of how we came into being.

Well, it's simple, say the religious leaders - God created everything. But if we ask them who created God, they are either speechless or call us an insolent jerk to question them or just say that the entity called God has existed forever. But since they are unable to answer our question, we turn to science.

The scientist attributes the creation of the universe to the Big Bang. "And what happened before the Big Bang?", we ask. Time did not exist before the Big Bang, it was created there and then and has existed ever since expanding like the other dimensions of space.

The above concept of time not existing before the Big Bang is tough to visualise. Likewise, is the following concept that God is a creation of mankind.

Now, taking the discussion from a philosophical and scientific note to a more psychological and logical one. Visualise this - at one point in human history, the self confidence of people, especially leaders, started dipping real low. So, one fine intellectual thinks of solving the problem and invents the concept of an eternally existing, infinitely powerful being who controlled every activity in the universe.

The people when hear of this concept, think of trying this out. When they encounter a problem, they ask this eternal being for help. They then believe in this entity and that God will help them and whatever would happen would be for their good. This makes them confident of achieving their hearts' desire. Unknowingly, what they end up doing is believing in themselves. They work harder towards their goal. The continuous thought about the thing they want attracts it towards them. The more they think about it, the stronger it is attracted.

Ultimately, they succeed in their purpose, but not knowing what truly caused it, not knowing that it was their hard work and belief which propelled them to their success, they assume that all their prayers had paid off and "God" had helped them. They start believing in God, they believe that praying more gives them more. Ultimately, at one point of time, they instead of believing in God, become totally dependent on God. For even the tiniest of decisions, begin waiting for "signs" from above.