knight in shining armor

"I just want to have a nice night all by myself!"

Y/N fell back onto her queen-sized bed with a groan. She had had a week. The guy she had been seeing suddenly ghosted her and then announced he had a girlfriend on Instagram. Not to mention that all the duties from work had also fallen onto her shoulders, with no one even offering to take some load off.

She was stressed, to say the least. She just wanted alone time, maybe head out to a bar, have a drink, and come back home. Nothing crazy. She just wanted to go out and be able to breathe even if just for a moment.

"You're crazy! Have you not heard of all the women who have gone missing around town?"

Y/N rolled her eyes; Darcy could be a bit dramatic sometimes. "First off, that wasn't even close to here. Second, I will be sharing my location with you the entire night. Third, I'm going to be home by 10 PM. I'm a grown woman. I don't need you to worry about me, Darcy."

"I'm your best friend!" She cried on the other end of the line. "I worry because I care. You gotta promise me you're going to be safe."

"Trust me. I'm just going out for a drink to clear my mind. That's it. And then I'm coming straight home."

Darcy stuttered as she tried to find a way to stop Y/N from going out alone, but Y/N had already made up her mind. Friday after work, she was coming home to freshen up then head to the bar a couple of blocks away from her apartment complex. She would have two drinks and head home to end the night with a sappy rom-com and probably cry herself to sleep. Sometimes all you needed to end the day was a good cry.

Friday came around and Y/N counted down the hours until she was free from work

Friday came around and Y/N counted down the hours until she was free from work. The second the clock struck 5 she ran out and headed home. She freshened up like she had planned and ate a small meal before heading out to the bar.

Lucky for her, it wasn't packed—yet. She spotted an empty stool at the bar and quickly rushed over to take a seat. She adjusted her bag across her body so it sat in her lap. Leaning against the bar, she caught the attention of the bartender quickly.

He was young, maybe younger than her. She searched for his name tag but found nothing. Her eyes met his brown ones and smiled.

"Hi, I'm Peter and I'll be your bartender for" —he brought up his left wrist to look at the time— "the next hour. What can I get for ya?" He smiled cheerfully.

She smiled back, feeling comfortable in his presence immediately. Y/N ordered a Moscow mule and watched Peter prepare it for her.

After adorning it with a fresh slice of lime, he slid it over to her and nodded towards her drink to encourage her to take a sip. "If it's not good, let me know and I'll fix it up for ya. Free of charge."

Y/N sputtered a laugh after she sipped. "Peter! This is the best Moscow mule I've had in town."

He smiled, adding a wink before letting her know he was at her service until the end of the shift. She thanked him once again before he disappeared to help other customers.