I'm Home

As the young man finished his last verse, a tear discreetly slid down from his face

As the young man finished his last verse, a tear discreetly slid down from his face. His hands were clammy from the distress of his heart as he laid down a rush of words that he brought forth from the wreck of what once was the love of his life.

He did not really care for how the small crowd would react to it. This was an amateur’s first time at a spoken word, venting out a free verse poem with a collapsing structure and breaking voice on just a whim of his feelings. It was as if he just wanted to scream it out one last time to the world, before he truly believed that he could try to move forward from it. From him.

Much to his surprise, a lot in the crowd had risen from their seats and clapped happily to their heart’s content. He never really had expectations from the audience now standing in front of him. All he wanted was to release the clenching pain from within; a chance he would not have taken had it not been for his friend munching on macarons on the furthest side of the crowd, at the back of the quaint cafe that the spoken word was held at.

There wasn’t much that one could say about his friend. The young man always stood by his side, even when the harshest parts of reality began to catch up to the collapsing world he once believed in. His charming smile, and thoughtful actions always found a way to sweep him forth from his feet, and all the sorrows he harboured from the weight of his naivety felt lighter than ever. Truly, he could ask for no one better than his friend to be the rock of his burrowing self.

If only he knew that the actions of his friend, hidden underneath the guise of fraternity, were more than platonic, maybe this painful lifetime wouldn’t be so bad for him.

As the crowd began to settle down, and the next participant of the spoken word event stepped onto the stage, he discreetly walked towards the direction of his friend. His friend notices this and flashes him a bright smile.

“Nanon, you did so well!” He greeted the approaching boy, standing up from his seat and opening his arms for a hug.

“Thankies for being here, bubby.” Nanon replied as he quickl;y ran into the arms of his friend, even slightly pushing the much more built boy by a bit.

He really wanted to show how grateful he was for everything. That boy was a heaven sent blessing in his eyes, and he would do anything for him, like he always did anyhow. But maybe even selling out his brother, Frank, for having a crush on the boy would’ve been a nice treat, Nanon thought to himself.

“I made you go here in the first place, and like I would miss this for the world!” His friend retorted, disheveling Nanon’s nicely styled hair. This earned him an adorable groan from the smaller boy, but that made him play with his hair even more.