Chapter Twenty-Five: The Reason For His Existence

"Mom!"

Can kicked through the door of Guldem's office in her mansion. Guldem jumped at the loud bang, shocked to see Can so angry.

"Son? What are you doing here?" Guldem said, standing up. "And why are you barging in here like this---"

"What in the world was that news?!" Can exclaimed. "Mom, I told you I don't wanna marry Diletta! What the heck is going on in your head, huh?!"

"Son!" Guldem shouted. "I don't want Ozge for you! Any girl but her! She's not good for you!"

"I don't want any other girl, Mom! I want Ozge! I'm in love with her!" Can said, his voice loud and it echoed outside the hallway. "Is this all a game to you? Am I just a pawn to you, Mom? A pawn that you can use for your business deals?! Huh?!"

"Can! Don't talk to me that way!" Guldem said. "You will marry Diletta whether you like it or not!"

"You can't tell me what to do anymore, Mom," Can said, calmer this time. "For Pete's sake, I'm an adult. I can make my own decisions. If I have to go against you, I would."

Guldem sneered and narrowed her eyes at Can. "You'll go against your own mother for some girl?"

"Ozge is not just some girl," Can said, walking closer to Guldem. "She's the girl."

"Really? Didn't you say that about Demet too?" Guldem said. "And now, look at you. Already over her---"

"Ozge is different, Mom! I've never loved anyone as much as I love her," Can exclaimed. "You don't get to ruin this. You don't get to take away Ozge from me. You don't get to take away the reason for my existence."

"Ozge or the company?" Guldem said.

"What?"

"Choose. Ozge or Yaman Holdings and Strawberry Place?" Guldem said. "If you go against me and still be with Ozge, I will take away Yaman Holdings and Strawberry Place from you. Make a choice."

Can sneered. "You'd do this to your own son? Just because I won't let you control me?"

"I will do what I think is best for you, Can," Guldem said.

Can laughed. "What's best for me? You mean what's best for you? I'm ashamed to call you my mother."

Can left the room and slammed the door in Guldem's face. Guldem sat down, feeling like she couldn't breathe.

***

The next day.

"Is Devrim home?"

Evren asked as she knocked on the door.

"Hi, Evren. Yeah, he's home. Let me just get him for you," Devrim's older sister said. "Please sit down."

"Thanks," Evren said as she sat down on the couch.

Devrim's three younger sisters who were about 7-9 years old, all looked at her.

"Hi," Evren waved to them.

"You always come here," one sister with a bow in her hair said.

"Yeah, are you Devrim's girlfriend?" the other sister with the blue eyes said.

"Uh, no. Devrim and I are just really good friends," Evren said.

"Liar!" the other sister with eyeglasses said.

Evren chuckled. "What are your names?"

"My name is Songul," the one with the bow said.

"My name is Gaye," the one with the blue eyes said.