Chapter III

The chilly spring air filled the hall where all the concubines had gathered for the morning greetings. Jisoo sat alone at the front, facing the beautiful noble ladies before her. All were older than her, and their firstborn children were around Jisoo's age. Her head throbbed slightly following the court meeting where she had unexpectedly reformed imperial etiquette. But imperial decisions were law, and despite the officials' initial words of protest, this change would be applied to the imperial records and announced publicly.

The young empress pursed her lips as her mind trotted elsewhere. The previous night's dream of waking up in a hospital room, which she assumed was a memory of her original life, lingered in her thoughts stubbornly.

Her gaze was unfocused as the harem voiced their greetings and bowed in unison with their arms raised before them and hands poised delicately one over another, palms facing down. Jisoo inclined her head, raised a hand and returned their greetings with brief words. The atmosphere was tense, palpably so, yet the empress ignored their stiff faces and uneasy looks. A mere command from her would suffice to banish them all from the palace grounds and strip their children of any inheritance bestowed by the previous emperor.

Had the audience with the harem occurred the previous day, the young empress would have retained the concubines within the palace for questioning and, for the late emperor's sake, ensured that her half-siblings acquired their rightful inheritance. Now that she was conscious of the tragic ending of the empress, another bold decision formed in her mind. She braced herself for the immediate backlash which she imagined waiting for her.

The young empress stood up and took a deep breath. Involuntarily her eyes settled on the foremost concubines, those who were the highest in rank among the harem, which was apparent in their rich and bright attires as colorful as the painted ceiling beams overhead, their elaborate hairstyles and their extravagant jewellery.

"Family is the foundation in our Hwang Empire," she began calmly. Her arms were at her sides, and concealed by the wide silk sleeves, her hands were clenched into fists. "Harmony in one's family leads to harmony in the country. Our family" — Jisoo's gaze swept across the quiet audience, her voice echoing against the stone walls — "is no exception to this principle.

"However ...," she went on, a frown darkening her eyes. "However, when this harmony is broken, what must one do to restore it?"

No one dared to answer.

"Our late emperor once told me," the young empress was now saying, articulating each word. She noticed how their brows slightly furrowed at her disregard of proper etiquette. "... That a broken thread may never be mended, for never will it hold as strong."

Her words seemed to produce a common reaction among the harem. Realization, followed closely by dread and horror, appeared on the concubines' faces.

All those who served the imperial family had sworn an oath of fealty — a powerful spell cast by the incumbent emperor using the Phoenix's blessing. This oath was the thread that could never be broken. However, being considered part of the imperial family, no such oath had been imposed on members of the harem and their children. For this reason, the young empress knew what course of action was necessary.

"A week ago, on the day of coronation, one who had sworn unwavering loyalty to us was forcefully involved in this treacherous scheme and met a tragic end. May his soul pass on peacefully to the next life."

There was a short pause as she mulled over her next words.

"And now, following this most unfortunate incident, no longer may I hold tender feelings for those I once considered family."

Following this statement, and in a stronger tone, Empress Jisoo proclaimed the banishment of all members of the harem, their children and their relatives working within the court. Then, with her ladies-in-waiting at her side, she turned to leave.

"Y—Your Imperial Majesty!" cried one of the higher-ranked concubines. "Pardon my insolence, this concubine does not understand — I plead my innocence, I plead — never would I do —"

"Enough."

The concubine whimpered, wringing and twisting her hands frantically as tears welled in her fear-stricken eyes. Jisoo recognized her as the late emperor's favorite concubine, who had joined the harem after her own mother's passing.

"I shall not retract my decision. Each one of you will be granted abundant compensation. That is all."

And with that tone of finality, the young empress exited the hall.

.
.
.

Following the audience with the harem, Jisoo received an urgent request from Prime Minister Bae. He sought to inquire after the cause for the harem's banishment. The empress agreed to meet him in the inner palace garden, away from prying eyes.

A gentle breeze rustled through the budding trees and rippled across the large pond that spanned most of the garden. A stone bridge arched over one of the narrower parts of the water, at the other end of which was a kiosk where the prime minister was awaiting her arrival.

"Prime Minister Bae, have you waited long?"

"Not at all." A somber look darkened his wrinkled eyes. "With all due respect, I am under the impression that I should hand in this robe."

The corner of Jisoo's mouth curved upwards. Although he could be quite the argumentative type, the prime minister had been chosen for his honest nature and sharp wit. She knew that her decisions, which had been declared without prior consultation with the court advisors, would result in such a situation.

"I apologize for rushing this matter. I feared for my life, given my suspicions that only someone from the harem could've schemed the poisoning incident."

"... It is understandable. Your Imperial Majesty, this prime minister is not worthy of apologies. It is only to the people that —"

"— that I should bow my head. Yes, but I seek forgiveness for my improper conduct. We are in the inner palace, so do treat me as you would a disobedient child."

She grinned at him.

"Your Imperial Majesty!" said the prime minister, taken aback.

"Father often praised your honesty, Your Excellency. Please speak freely."

Prime Minister Bae let out a defeated sigh. "Your decision was what the late emperor once instructed me to do in such a situation. As the first princess to be blessed by the Phoenix, you proved that this divine power can be inherited by female descendants in direct line to the throne. But noble families cannot easily offer their sons to join the flower garden ... they would rather have a male heir ascend the throne, and offer their daughters to strengthen allegiances."

For this reason, they would try to dispose of the crown princess at all costs.

"I am most grateful for your words, Your Excellency."

Prime Minister Bae nodded in response.

"I also consider your safety to be our greatest priority ... nevertheless, we must find an alternative. Banishing members of noble families will inevitably provoke unrest across the empire."

"I believe there is one."

Jisoo thought back to the history textbooks she had read in high school. It was the best solution she could think up for now. She hoped it would be enough.

"My flower garden," she said. "Rather than selecting them as one would an emperor's concubines, they will be evaluated as one would a scholar, Your Excellency."

The prime minister's eyes lit up. He nodded fervently, bowed and departed in a hurry.

Jisoo sighed and walked back onto the bridge where she rested her forearms onto the sturdy marble railing. She leaned over and watched the orange and white carps swim around in the pond below. At this point, she was certain that she had completely deviated from the original story. But another thought plagued her mind — the thought that she had no idea how to return to her former life, her ordinary high school life.