III. Auspicious

♡ ♡ ♡Don't touch me, don't look at me, since I am not really here♡ ♡ ♡

Don't touch me, don't look at me, since I am not really here

A child, young and small, walked without purpose on a word and dusty tail. Their wooden shoes elevated them from the filth and kept their pristine green kimono without blemishes.

They walked without a pause, their eyes never straying from looking onwards. Even as they entered an ordinary village, they never stopped.

They weren't planning to, either.

Traveling men on donkeys gave them strange looks, they didn't know what such a small child was doing all alone. Even the mens' asses gave questioning snorts; the child didn't smell right to them. They had none of the salty or earthen scent of any villagers they had met. They were scentless.

A hunched woman with a walking stick hobbled down the road, her whitening hair was wrapped in a faded blue cloth and she wore a dirtying purple kimono. In her other hand she carried a wicker basket filled with ripening pink ume. She looked like an old widow trying to make ends meet by doing easy labor jobs.

The child didn't even glance at her. They continued to just walk and walk. When the old woman came closer and closer with what seemed to be great difficulty and stopped in front of them, they paused.

An obstacle is now in their path. What should they do?

"Little one, where are your parents?" The woman asked with a gentle sort of maternal concern.

Why is there something in front of them? He can't walk now.

They didn't think to simply walk around the frail woman.

They blankly stared straight ahead, coincidentally at the old lady. The woman noticed their dullness and frowned.

The child raised his hand, it bent in front of them, preparing to swipe and knock the woman's head off of her shoulders.

The old woman placed a warm hand on their shoulder and for some reason they couldn't fathom their hand lowered, now limply dangling.

Their neck stretched up to the woman's face, his mouth slightly parted, but the blank and unconscious expression never left them.

"Why don't you come with me?" The woman took their hand in hers and led them away, the child absentmindedly following after her down the straight path.

Hi

I was feeling a bit inspired so here's a snippet of a certain someone's backstory

Word Count is less than 400

Stay frosty, ciao~