Injustice and Retribution

Why did I have to be a toy? It's not fair!

    Lakiston sat lifelessly on a mountain of trash, cursing the world itself. If only I was human, he thought. If I was a human, then I wouldn't have been thrown away. I would be able to move, I'd be able to speak, I could be anything but a piece of trash in a landfill... If only, if only, his heart continued to cry.

    A dark shadow appeared above him. The beads he used as his eyes stared up at a strange woman. Long black hair tied in twintails that faded to a bright white, a blue-and-red hourglass floating in her hand... This woman, she wasn't normal... Her smile chilled him to the core.

    "Do you want to be human, Lakiston?"

    How do you know my name? What do you mean?

    Hand placed on her hip, her eyes narrowed as she stared at him with a sinister smile. "How I know is not important. If you want it so badly, shall I make your wish come true?"

    Consumed by desire, Lakiston cried out: Please! Please, I'll do anything!

    "Anything, is that so..."

    Horns and claws sprouted from his ragged body, and he blinked for the first time in his existence. Pulling himself up onto his feet, he stared down at his new mobile form. Even if Kiyone hadn't spoken it aloud, he knew what he was supposed to do: Find a human, and with these claws, take their body for his own.

    Climbing over discarded bottles and wreckage of machines, Lakiston trodded into a forest surrounding the landfill. Which way to the city? Where is the nearest human? These questions were never answered, because a little girl stood before him. She tilted her head, her short grey hair swaying ever so slightly.

    "What are you doing here, Mr. Bear?"