Tom Hanks

An actor who has a confusing childhood, a successful acting career in Hollywood and a big heart.

Everyone loves watching a movie to entertain themselves on a Saturday night and that is exactly what  I need. As I was scrolling through Netflix, I saw a few interesting movies including Cast Away, Forrest Gump, BIG and The Terminal, featuring Hanks as the main character. Why did he prefer starring movies with sad endings? I decided to find out more...

Born in 1965 in Concord, California, Hanks is a successful actor, who is known for his comedic and dramatic roles in films. He grew up in what he has called a 'fractured' family. He moved around a great deal after his parents' divorce, which led to a confusing childhood. He had no acting experience in college. He went downtown and auditioned for a community theater play, and was then invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, where his acting career started. His stature in the movie industry rose and was established as a major Hollywood talent after landing the lead role in two films with broad success. Due to his great performance in films, he was awarded three Best Actor Academy Awards, becoming the second actor to have accomplished the feat of winning consecutive Best Actor Oscars.

He has been honored with an Arts for Humanity Award for charity work. He said his acting career has given him the opportunity to give financial support to charities and make the world a better place. He is one of the actors who are trying to make U-turns. Also, I believe that he believes in no 'happily ever after', but true life stories and meanings behind films he casts.

Tom Hanks once said, 'Never give up because you never know what the tide will bring in the next day.' This famous quote regards him as a determined person. I enjoy watching his films because he can bring the characters he acts to life and they are very meaningful. I chose him because he is a special actor who helps charity and makes a great change in the movie industry.