None Beyond Destiny

The high school reunion party had just kicked off at 'Hawaa-Hawaayi', the newly opened roof-top restaurant that had become the talk of the town.

Atmosphere filled with the warmth of memories, laughter and emotions, with the cool breeze soothing every heart that had ever ached over the teenage crushes and love stories, it was going to be one memorable evening for everyone.

Raghav Rao, the hot high school guy who had soared many hearts by his one smile in those days, stood alone in a corner with his champagne enjoying the breeze.

"Bro! Hey, how are you?", a voice broke his reverie and he looked up to the person.

The blank look on Raghav's face didn't attribute much.

"Remember? I am Fahad, the spectacled guy who was into music at school?, huh?", his eyebrows twitched as he let out an embarrassed smile.

Raghav's face brightened up suddenly as he recognised the guy. "Oh, yes, I do!", he forwarded his hand for a handshake, "sorry about... ah forget it", he shook his head in embarrassment. "How are you?", he smiled at him.

"Thank god you recognised. I wasn't expecting THE RAGHAV RAO to recognise his classmates after so many years given that you're nowhere on social media", Fahad said as he raised his flute.

Raghav smiled awkwardly at him as he looked around the venue.

"Searching for someone?", Fahad winked at him with a knowing smile, "I heard you're married now?", he said tongue in cheek.

"I am", he gave a faint smile.

"Still?", he shook his head unbelievably to which Raghav gave what Fahad interpreted as a guilty smile.

"Anyway, did you .. I mean meet her after school?", he asked Raghav.

Raghav raised his eyebrows at Fahad, with a withdrawn smile he turned back towards the railing, resting his hand upon it and looking into infinity.

"Yes", he let out a sigh.

He thought about the bygone days. A business tycoon like him would walk to the chai ki tapri near his workplace to have tea just with her while she didn't even spare him a glance and talked to her other colleagues. The other colleagues let's say probably took him into the conversation out of fear.

He did mind her aloofness initially. But then he got to spend time with her, look at her beautiful face, brightening smile and hear her chirpy voice. One day she would talk to him, he hoped.

And that day arrived. Finally. Pallavi had reached the tapri that evening and had been waiting for the others when the tropical downpour started.

When you're in love, rains don't ruin your plans, they make it more beautiful. Raghav wasn't expecting Pallavi all alone at the tapri, there were others who were standing there to take shelter from the rain but then no one knew her...except him.

Pallavi turned her back when she saw him, uncomfortably. Raghav smirked a little as he went to the stall owner.

"Bhaiya.. Two teas please", walking to the edge where Pallavi was standing facing the rain, he forwarded her one styrofoam cup.

"No, thanks.. I don't want to have tea", she said rubbing her palms gently to warm herself as the chilly wind blew.

"I am sure, you definitely not don't want tea", he kept his hand forward.

Pallavi looked at him grimly for a moment and was back staring at the rain.

"Come on yaar Pallavi, have it.. I have already bought it", he insisted, "you can pay me your share", he added.

Pallavi relented, taking the tea from him, but didn't drink it, he noticed.

Just when the silence between them was about to scream out loud, he asked her "How do you like working here?".

"It's nice", she finally touched the cup to her lips taking in a sip.

Raghav smiled involuntarily.

Though he hoped she could express her working at his company elaborately, he was glad she responded.

"Happy to know that 'it's nice' here. I like to keep a note of my employees' happiness", he said and turned to the tea stall owner, "bhaiya woh badam wale biscuit dena".

Pallavi turned at him astonished. He remembered.

Raghav grinned at her knowingly, "you don't take these biscuits anymore?", he recalled those evenings after their tutorials, they would go for the tea nearby and Pallavi loved those cookies.

"They don't make it that good anymore", she said, taking the cookie from him.

The rain had subsided by then. "I should leave,'' Pallavi said, turning around to walk with the cup.

"Pallavi", he called out. "Don't bother paying heed to your colleagues gossiping about how their boss is hopelessly trying to hit on you".

Pallavi stood stunned, he knew. All those times he had done things out of his way for her and she had avoided him like a plague, her colleagues had spoken terrible things and he probably knew them all.

Pallavi smiled inwardly, "Don't worry Raghav sir, I don't bother about non-existent things".

"Would you still not bother about it, if I tell it is very much in existence?", Raghav smirked.

"Dude!, Look who's there", Fahad patted his back. "God, she looks so different, she had cut-off contact with everyone. Don't know how the invitation reached her".

"I am going to talk to her. Will you join?", Fahad asked Raghav.

"Yeah sure", he walked towards Pallavi.

Pallavi beamed with her million dollar smile at Raghav when they reached her.

"So, Fahad meet Pallavi Raghav Rao", Raghav introduced as he returned the smile and put his arm around his wife.