Morning

Crouched down in the corner was the lanky boy with dark, curly hair, his hands resting on his legs. Turning his head, he jeered his teeth and squinted his eyes, his thick-framed glasses shifting slightly on the bridge of his nose.
The short-haired girl with porcelain skin crept about the treehouse towards him, confused as to why he seemed so restless.
"What's wrong, Zack?", she softly questioned as she scanned the treehouse, noticing the rest of the group of friends acting seemingly jittery and out of place.
The air itself felt thick and heavy. Sheets of clouds covered the morning sky in a dark, blue-gray hue, a rainstorm brewing. The odd behavior displayed by her friends stirred a sense of fear that began to pound slowly in her chest. Intuition tugged at her, beckoning her to follow their eyes. Watching them, she followed their focused glare and on her right, she stared ahead. A few miles away from the treehouse stood a large crowd of students belonging to their school, socializing amongst each other.
"The boy with that backpack...", Zack whispered, his fingers gripping the edge of the wooden wall. Zack's words echoed in Wren's mind, the fear in her chest now heavily embedded within her. Her eyes became wild with fear, darting from one student to the other, the students now resembling that of unknowing prey.
Her cold lips parted as her eyes locked on the outlier. There in the center of the crowd stood a lone boy. He stood strangely, slouched in a particular black hoodie, his tall figure still somehow hidden in the crowd.
His backpack still somehow hidden.
Upon observing the backpack closely, she caught sight of a pink ribbon pinned on the side of the backpack.
An instant realization sparked a race in her heart, her ears pounding loudly with the sounds of her deep breaths.
She wanted to let out a scream, but no sound would come out of her parted mouth. The heavy chains in her chest anchored her down, forcing her to stand still in place.
A second of silence passed.
Before she could scream, before she could cry, she felt her body move as she began to climb the wooden wall. "Wren, wait!", a voice shouted, reaching for her arm.
And all at once, there was a was a flash.
The impact of the sudden bang threw her to her knees, separating her from Zack's reach, the entirety of her body becoming  numb. A piercing ring in her ears blared intensely in her whirling head. The world seemed to be moving with her as she instinctively forced herself up and spun herself around, gripping the edge of the wall with her hands as she leaned forward. A gasp escaped her shaky lips as she witnessed the chaos below. Clouds of smoke and ash fumed into the area, covering the ground in a thick haze. The countless screams would not leave the air. Police and ambulance sirens blurred in the background as the screams only intensified with both panic and pain.
Her devastated eyes glistened as one question flooded her mind.
Why?
The sick, gut-wrenching pain sunk her down to the floor. She sluggishly sat against the wall, the ring in her ears blurring out the voices of the others. Darkness begin to envelope her vision, her heavy eyes slowly closing with every blink. "Wren...", a voice called out. "Wren!", it shouted, shaking her shoulders. The gesture bolted her awake. "We have to go, Wren. They'll find us here. We can't stay here anymore.", Zack rushed, forcing her up on her feet. She turned her head towards the cloud of smoke with a distraught face, his words fading out as her mind fit the final piece of the puzzle.
She shouldn't have left. Not in the way she did. She didn't mean to hurt him. The one person who loved her dearly. The note she left broke his heart. His very soul left his body, everyday he spent lifeless, his body serving as an empty vessel. His sister. How could she leave him?
They hurt her. He knew.
They made her go away.
But he didn't know, she was still there.
He didn't know that the note she left had only been a lie. She wasn't dead.
The two siblings would have been together as before.
But now, one is dead.
And the other would never come back.