Make or Break

Riley's P.O.V.

The next morning, all I could do was think. Think about what could go wrong. Think about what could go right. Think about what could possibly change. This was going to make or break Niall and I's relationship, if you could even call it that. Whatever we had, today would determine our future. It was about 11:30, so I had two hours to get ready. I forced myself out of bed and walked to the bathroom. I slowly peeled off my clothes and turned the shower water on.

As I let the hot water sting my back, I thought about everything that had happened these past few years. My mother left. Niall left. My dad changed, the old him left. Everyone leaves. That's all Niall's going to do. Leave. Leave me broken. Leave me to pick up the pieces, again. I can't let him do that.

As I got out of the shower, I wrapped a white towel tightly around my body. I walked into my closet to pick out my outfit for the day. Niall and I weren't considered friends, so I couldn't dress like a slob, but I wasn't dressing to impress him, so I couldn't dress like I was meeting the queen. I decided on a simple white blouse, and Tiffany Blue skinny jeans. I wore my white lace TOMS and kept my clover necklace on. I let my hair air dry into its natural waves, and put on black eyeliner and mascara, and light ping lipstick.

I decided that was that, and descended down the stairs. My dad had already left for work, so I didn't need to worry about telling him goodbye. I walked out the door and locked it behind me.

As I approached the front door, my hands started shaking. 'What was he going to say?' 'Does he miss me like I miss him?' 'What if he's just going to say that I need to stop talking to him and his family?' Were just a few of the thoughts running through my head. I hadn't realised that Niall already opened the door and was trying to speak to me.

"Earth to Riley." He said unsure of himself.

"What? Oh, sorry. Hi, Niall..." I said shakily. I cursed myself for letting him see me like this.

"Are you okay, Riley?" He asked with concern.

"Umm yeah, but the clock starts now, so let's get this over with." I said, more confidence in my words than before.

Niall's P.O.V.

I was nervously awaiting Riley's arrival. Anything I say could make or break our friendship. I really miss her, a lot. Nothing's been the same.

After about fifteen minutes of staring out the window, I finally see waves of blonde hair appear. I wait for her to knock, but she never does. I open the door anyway, and greet her. No response.

"Riley?" Still nothing.

"Earth to Riley" I say, waving a hand in front of her face.

She finally looked up at me. Her eyes took my breath away. I couldn't speak.

"What? Oh, sorry. Hi, Niall." She said shakily. I could tell something was bothering her.

"Are you okay?" I finally choked out.

"Umm yeah, but the clock starts now, so let's get this over with."

And so it begins.