Prologue

"Almost ready?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Doctor Linda Patterson paced the floor of the Nursery chamber restlessly. The tests for this subject had shown up as nearly perfect; what's better, she had been the one to come up with the idea of splicing reptile DNA with HY-01M's own genetic makeup. She couldn't wait for this one to hatch. It had been a week, a long, agonizing week, and she was getting antsy.

"Just a few more run-over's, ma'am." her assistant Arianne stated calmly. Patterson nearly threw herself at the thin glass screen in front of her and her helper.

"We don't have time for run-downs," she hissed. "Hatch it. Hatch it now!"

The startled assistant jumped and quickly tapped the "hatch" button glistening bright blue on the clear touch screen.

Slowly, the misty sphere in front of them began to crack. Inside lay a Demon, an experiment that was guaranteed to succeed. This was the Facility's chance to begin their long awaited mission, after years of work and toil. Patterson could feel herself bouncing with excitement. She was SO getting a raise for this.

After what seemed like years, the sphere separated and disappeared completely, leaving a shivering form huddled in the center of the room. It's skin was scaly and maroon colored, it's hair was short, black, and shaggy, still moist from the liquid inside the egg. The doctor awed at it and walked slowly to where it lay. It's face was hidden, but Patterson knew that its eyes were bright yellow and pointed like an insect's. It was bare and unclothed, shaking with not only cold, but with fear.

"Doctor..." Arianne warned.

"Shut up," Patterson hissed.

She got within touching distance of it before it suddenly reared its head and focused its humongous eyes on her with hatred and confusion. Roaring like a dragon, it untangled itself from its huddled position and launched itself at the doctor.

Screaming out, the doctor felt all the air in her lungs escape as the monster closed its long fingers around her neck and began to squeeze tightly. Arianne screamed and pounded on the alarm. Sirens blared and red light filled the room immediately.

The Demon, startled, roared again and slashed its talons across Patterson's neck, ripping at the tissue and scraping against bone. The doctor went limp immediately, her eyes dimming.

The monster quickly evacuated the bright room, crashing through the glass walls and loping down the white hallway. It didn't make it farther than fifty feet before the Removal team showed and opened fire.

The Demon fell limp onto the bloody ground and groaned once before closing its eyes.

The head Doctor, Dr. Walters, walked stately towards the beast and frowned down at it through his circular glasses. Another so-thought success, wasted. Another million dollars for nothing. Another doctor's blood spilled at his hands.

The Committee was going to have his ass for this.

"Clean this up." he demanded the Removal team, and stormed away quietly, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration.