Joining Them, Conditionally (Prologue)

My childhood consisted of Cierra with her bruised eyes, slit wrists, and worn out clothes, Chanler with his icy, cold skin and constant fits of suddenly splurging up water, and my only alive friend, Selena, who could also see Cierra and Chanler. That shows that I've been psychic for a while; as long as I can remember anyway.

I'd often play with them in my backyard, more a cemetery than anything else since my neighbor was a church. Our games usually involved the many gravestones lined with fake, dusty, flowers and decaying grass.

Now most people wouldn't consider this as an appropriate.... "setting" for a child to grow up in. But I did and that's all that matters. Even just imagining being normal and not seeing dead people hanging from old oak trees in the park or walking around with half their faces missing would terrify me. Weird huh?

Even as a kid, I wasn't stupid; my parents don't know about my, well, "uniqueness." I hadn't even told Selena until she told me she was psychic. My parents are classics. Cheerful, normal, poor. Which I suppose would explain the whole graveyard in my backyard thing. Not that I'm complaining. Psychics are awesome.

Our town is much of a town. Really, it's just an old rundown piece of land where a few ancient houses, a church, and a small store were restored from ye old days. Fortunately, constructionists included a gas station and a small library. The rest of the land is mainly forests and parks.

Selena and I met Cierra and Chanler about eleven years ago. They had been wandering around in the forest that played as Selena's backyard when we stumbled across them. At the time, Cierra was about 96 years old, really twelve when she died, and Chanler was 43, stuck as a fourteen year old.

They'd happily tolerated us even though Selena and I were only five but now that we're sixteen and it's kinda vice versa, I don't see how they did it. Maybe just out of relief of having a friend in the afterlife.

I don't tell them or Selena but sometimes, I'm glad people couldn't see them by our side when we go bowling or to get hotdogs. It's kinda awkward and we certainly don't need another reason for people around here to call us freaks. To me, it's unfair how people judge us like that. Just because they can't see ghosts doesn't mean we're talking to thin air. Considering this town doesn't even have a stinking Wal-Mart, I'd say we're all freaks.