Chapter 3

The next day at school, I was thinking about Hunting season the whole day. Though Sunshine finally gave in, I knew she was right. Dominic won’t simply stay in one place while Sunshine fluttered around, dropped off girls in his path and then fluttered away once more. In fact, he’d probably get irritated and seek revenge somehow on his younger sister.

And hopefully, he won’t come for me afterwards.

I was in the lunchroom, eating my lunch at the pack’s table, but I spotted Willow with some of her human friends. Her stomach was obviously bulging from her slim body and the rumor spread across the school in less than one class period. Just like the time Trey and Willow were first found out to be technically seeing each other.

This year, we were seniors, and Trey wasn’t in this lunch, so this would be my time to ask her about anything and he wouldn’t be there to hear about it.

Because in the end, I really did feel bad for Sunshine on having to go head on against her older brother. He was really scary when he got mad. And I felt like I wanted to give Sunshine some sort of small hope.

So before lunch ended, I pulled Willow off to the side where we could talk alone.

“Is Trey listening in on you right now?” I quickly asked.

Willow blinked and then shook her head. “No. I made sure to keep him out of my head so he’d pay attention to class. Though I doubt he’s doing that.” She muttered the last part, mostly to herself.

I’ve heard that there are a few people, like Willow, who can adapt to a werewolf’s, and other species’, powers. To be able to block out Trey’s voice is pretty amazing. She’s the only human I know who can do such a thing.

“Okay. Good.” I sighed. When Willow gave me a look, I continued. “Has Trey told you about Hunting season?”

She shook her head again. “No. But I’ve heard it around the school from pack members. Is it similar to Mating season?”

“Sort of.” I shrugged awkwardly. “It’s a way to help werewolves find their mates.” I quickly summed up the rest for her and she simply looked at me in the end.

“Why are you telling me this?”

Since she was being so blunt, I decided to go straight to the point as well. “I was wondering…if you and Trey were going.”

“Of course not.” She answered with no hesitation. “We’re already mated to each other.”

“I know…” I hesitated. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all. If I tell Willow, I might be putting pressure on her into saying yes. “You know what, never mind. I was just wondering.”

“Helen.” She said my name flatly. I froze from taking a step and looked at her slowly. She was looking straight into my eye. “What is it?”

“It’s just…well…I don’t know if…” The bell rang and I sighed. “This isn’t really the place to talk about this.”

To my surprise, Willow shrugged and said, “Okay. We’ll meet up later. How about at Garcia’s Café at three?”

“What?” I said dumbly.

Willow’s mouth twitched, but she didn’t smile. “It must be important since you actually came up to ask me. And since you don’t want Trey to hear it, I’ll just tell him I’m picking up a shift after school.” She looked at the kids passing by and nodded her head at me. “See you later.”

And then she left.

I stared after her with wide eyes and a gaping mouth, but quickly closed it, in case someone saw how silly I must’ve looked. In the end, as I was walking to class, I shook my head and laughed to myself.