Styx

on the morning of august 21, 1970, Gwynn was browsing the list of new vinyl albums and 23rd on the list was one titles Styx. she took out the locket from the Paradise Theatre and flipped it over. it still read: Styx. she then flipped through the magazine more and figured out that Styx was a new rock band that consisted of, Dennis DeYoung, James Young, John Panozzo, Chuck Panozzo, and John Curulewski. John C. and James played electric guitar while, Chuck played bass guitar and pedals, Dennis was vocals and synthesizer, and John P. was on drums and other percussion instruments. puzzled, she went out and looked for this album at the local music store. she found it with many copies left, on a shelf all by itself. she bought it and as soon as she got home, she put it on her record player and listened to it. Despite the fact that she usually disliked rock and roll, she liked these songs. almost all of them. unfortunately, the critics did not.

In the years that followed, Gwynn got older and the critics began to appreciate Styx more. and as they did, Gwyneth did too. she had bought all of Styx's albums and since John Curulewski had left, they had a replacement. his name was Tommy Shaw and he was writing the rock n' roll hits that Gwyneth loved best. It became an everyday thing for her, listening to Styx.

Gwynn was now 65 and still missing the Paradise. it'd never really occurred to her why they'd tear it down. it was such a beautiful sight to see. and it was the reason she had lived in Chicago for so long.

The next week, she bought tickets to see a Styx and REO Speedwagon rock concert. she liked REO Speedwagon too, so it wouldn't be bad they were there. she woulda preferred Boston though.

The day of the concert, she was the oldest one there. it didn't bother her though, she came to see a Styx concert and that's what would happen. they rocked the show as usual. Gwyneth enjoyed watching them perform and knowing now what they looked like. if she woulda been younger, she woulda had a crush on Dennis DeYoung.

The real reason she liked Styx was, they made a album titled the Paradise Theatre. it showed a painting of the Paradise back when it was crowded with people on the front, but when you flipped the cover open, it showed the Paradise with the windows cracked and the TEMPORARILY CLOSED sign on it. Gwynn had bought this album right away. the last track even had the theme song of the Paradise in it.

They performed the songs that were on the Paradise Theatre album, and it took all Gwyneth had not to break down in tears.

When the show was over, she went home and listened to the original album. and a usual whenever she listened to this album, she cried herself to sleep