Chapter Twenty Four

I almost curled over when I saw him. Stefan was standing there with an older man at his side. I felt Dex put his hand on my waist, pulling me back behind him.

"You have no reason to be here." Dex said.

Stefan laughed and took another step towards me. "Did you not just hear me?" He shot Dex a glance but quickly looked back to me. I stared at him, heart pounding.

What Stefan was saying finally hit Dex, and he turned to look at me. He was furious.

"Ex wife." I corrected Stefan, still looking at Dex.

"Actually, the papers were ruined, so I'm here to resign. I hear congratulations are in order. Two weddings in two weeks? Impressive." Dex was still staring at me. The words stabbed at me.

"Mrs. Burlosconi," I heard the older man next to Stefan speak to me. "The judge is waiting for you to sign the new papers before proceeding with the ceremony." Dex was pissed. Like really pissed. Stefan and the man walked past us.

"Claire, please tell me he's fucking joking." Dex bit out. I looked back over my shoulder where the two men were walking into another room.

"I swear, I'll explain. Just give me a minute." I said. I turned and entered the room they went into, shutting the door behind me. They sat at a large conference table. I sat next to the older man and across from Stefan, avoiding his eyes. I could feel him staring at me. Fuck him, he's the one who sent me away and signed the papers.

"Okay, I just need both of your signatures and then I'll file it with both states. It'll be done quicker than a-" Before he could finish, Stefan interjected.

"Quicker than one of Claire's marriage." He said. I looked at him now, glaring.

"Where do I sign?" I asked. He flipped through pages and slid them over to me. I took the pen he extended over to me and scribbled my name on the line. I shoved the papers across the table to Stefan.

He took them and extended his hand for the pen. I sought comfort imagining diving over the table and jabbing it into his throat. I smiled at the thought and handed it to him. He furrowed his brows at me. I stood, walking to the door. I tried the door knob but it didn't open.

I was the last one in the room and I did not lock it behind me. I looked at the knob but didn't see a lock on this side of the door. What in the actual fuck?

I swung around, storming towards Stefan.

"Open the door." I said sternly. I had my hands on the table. Stefan stood, mirroring my stance.

"Make me." He said. I gaped at him.

I looked over to the lawyer, sitting there and looking between us.

"This has to be illegal." I said to him. "Let me out." The lawyer stood and walked over to the door, knocking three times, pausing, then doing a fourth. The door opened and I saw Matteo on the other side. I went to follow but Matteo closed the door as soon as the lawyer was out.

I yanked on the handle, pulling on the door.

"Help! Somebody help!" I yelled.

"The building has been cleared." I turned to look at him. We had been in here for maybe three minutes, and he had emptied the entire building? This was a city building, how did Stefan...? That was a stupid question. Stefan. Mafia. Thats how.

I walked over to him, shoving his chest. "So help me God Stefan, if you don't open the door.."

I didn't finish, not knowing what to say. I had no advantage here. I knew he always kept two guns holstered below his suit jacket. I had nothing.