Chapter 1

I'm Jamie, I'm seventeen years old, and I live in Central New York. It's the middle of the winter right now, so I was almost always freezing, even in my heated house. There are about three feet of snow outside and ice covering every surface you can touch, I'm known for falling and breaking something, a bone or something around me, so I tried to avoid going outside as much as possible when it was snowing.

I don't look like a girl who grows up somewhere where the sun doesn't come out for nine months out of the year, I had medium brown hair that fell to the small of my back, and deeply tanned skin. I look like I moved here from Florida or LA. But it was the Italian I got from my dad, which was all I got from him because I have never met him. It's not one of those stories where he just left when I was a baby and I don't remember him, I actually never knew him. My mom got pregnant with me at Eightteen and my dad left her the second he found out. She never married anyone after that.

Me and my mother never had a good relationship, she took care of me and played with me when I was little, but when I was old enough to take care of myself she threw herself into her job and now she is rarely home, I basically live alone because she travels so much. I don't mind being alone though, and a lot of the time my best friend Jessica, Jess, stays with me because he parents don't really care where she runs off to. They never really have. That was something we bonded over, absent parents.

You'd think someone in my position would choose to rarely go to school and probably be failing my classes and have no chance at a good future. But actually my house is so far out from town, I have no neighbors so I rarely have human interaction, so I enjoyed going to school and being able to be around people, and I wanted to be able to go to college and get out of this town because I hate it here.

I was laying on the couch in my family room watching some random sitcom that I was barely paying attention to. It was nine O'clock and Thursday night, I was waiting for Jess to get here, she said she would be here at seven thirty, but I knew that she wouldn't be here at that time because she took forever to get ready. She wore way too much make up because she was so insecure but she never showed it, she was always happy and crazy fun.

Finally, I heard the door open and close and I knew it was Jess.

"In here!" I yell to here when I hear footsteps heading for the stairs and not the family room. I heard her shoes on the floor as the redirected themselves toward the family room was to the left when you came into the large foyer.

"Hey," she breathed when she walked in, setting her keys on the coffee table and sitting down beside me.

"Finally," I tease and she looks at me rolling her eyes with a smile on her face. Jess was gorgeous and she always made me feel insecure but that was something I would never tell her. She has Blonde hair that fell just above her rib cage, she was incredibly skinny but toned so she didnt look boney, She wasn't tall but being short worked for her, she was about 5'4", which compared to my 5'9" was pretty short. She looked like someone who lived in such a cold place with her snow white skin, it was almost transparent but it was beautiful on her, and to match both the skin and the hair she had big blue eyes framed with dark black lashes.

"Hey, you should know after sixteen years of frienship I will never be on time." she laughs grabbing the remote and starting to flip through the channels, clearly not concerned as to whether or not I was watching what was on. "So, has your mom been home recently?" she asks still staring at the TV screen, knowing the answer already. I think back to the last time my mom was home, it had been at least three weeks since I saw her.