Chapter 6

The next morning I wake up, way too excited to see Mike. I dress quickly and throw my comb at Jess in an attempt to wake her. She stirs softly and I yell her name once as I slip my shoes on.
"I'm up." She mumbles, her face in the pillow. I grab my keys off my dresser.
"I have to go, I'll see you tonight." I call over my shoulder as I walk out of my room, I nearly skip down the stairs and out the front door. The cold air bites at my cheeks but I barely notice, I'm too focused on getting to work.
I walk into J&L and the receptionist smiles warmly at me. I already have a huge smile plastered on my face, so I add a small wave as I make my way to our office. Mike is already there, he is on the phone with what sounds like a customer, he tells them to hold then redirects the call just as I sit down. I set my bag beside my desk and power up my computer.
"Hey," he smiles at me from across our desks.
"Hey," I return the smile with the same amount of warmth.
"What are you doing tonight?" He asks suddenly, I look up at him slightly caught off guard.
"Uh, I have a feeling you're about to tell me." I laugh and he smiles.
"My friend, he's in college, and I know it's a week night, but he's having a small party and wants me to come, I figured you could come and bring your friend, just for a little while." he smiles and the thought of going to a party on a week night usually would have repulsed me, but now with him, I like the idea. I agree before I even really think about it.
"I'm in." I smile at him, turning my attention to my company e-mail and I see him smile to himself out of the corner of my eye.

I pull into my drive way and park behind Jess. I walk into the house, excited to tell her about the plans I had made with Mike. She was in the kitchen, making herself a grilled cheese. I took a seat on one of the bar stools and grinned widely.
"What," she laughed.
"I made us plans tonight."
"It's a week night, you never go out on a week night..." I just smile at her and wink. "It's that Mike guy isn't it?! Tell me what is going on with him now!"
"I don't know what's going on with him, as far as I know we're friends." I laugh and she scoffs and rolls her eyes.
"You are not friends! Why are you lying to me Jamie?!"
"I'm not lying!" I say with a smirk on my face, throwing my hands up defensively.
"Fine, whatever. Lie to your best friend. What are we doing tonight anyway?" She asks coming over and leaving over the other side of the island so she is only a few feet away from where I am sitting.
"College party." I say laughing and getting up to walk away.
"What?!! Who are you and what have you done with Jamie?!" She calls after me laughing.

I head into my room to call Kyle with an update on Mike, after asking for his advice on it I figured I should keep him updated.
"Hey, Jamie, I was just about to call you, I'll be back tomorrow night." he says in a tired voice.
"Oh, cool! I'm excited. But I actually called with an update on that guy Mike I asked for your advice on." I laugh lightly.
"Alright, fill me in!" He laughs.
"Well, I THINK a we are friends. We seem to be a little more than that, but not enough to be out of the friend zone." I say biting my lip, feeling shy about admitting this to anyone. I wasn't someone big on boy gossip, especially when the gossip involved me.
"Is my little Jamie all grown up?!" He laughs. "You like him, I can tell, I'm happy for you!" He says and his voice is genuine.
"thank you, I'm actually going to a party with him tonight!"
"Jamie! It's the middle of the week! You must really like this kid!" He mocks, laughing.
"Shut up! I have to get ready, see you tomorrow Kyle!" I laugh and he says goodbye before I hang up the phone.