1 - Beginning

Authors note~
The setting for this story is before Eren had discovered his Titan powers, but does not completely line up with the true timeline of the events of AOT.
Hope you enjoy this taster chapter for now :)

"Shiganshina"

It was a mixture of fear and excitement that shot through your spine on hearing that word. Your transfer from the westernmost city of Wall Maria was now set in stone, and the location of where you would be settling had now been revealed.

A wave of murmurs grew across the audience as fellow members of the scout regiment voiced their disdain for this decision.

"Isn't that where Captain Ackerman is based?"

"What's the point of sending more captains over there? Surely the other cities need more help?"

It was true. The news of the mass transfer of captains to shiganshina had been nought but a rumour until this meeting, and the hastiness of it all only fed into the ideas that something of a significant nature was brewing in the south, something that required more than the strength of Captain Levi alone.

***

The cold wind bit against your skin, and your jacket flailed at the sides of your steadily galloping horse. The gate into Shinganshina grew more detailed as the herd of 100 recruits closed in on the entrance.

Atop his own horse, in the grand stone archway, a blonde man sat expectedly, calling out your name and waving you and your squad over to him.

"Right on time." The man exclaimed with a smile, "I'm Commander Erwin."

You introduce yourself formally to Erwin, as a pair of recruits approach you and your squad.

"Have Connie and Sasha take you to the stables and get you settled into your lodging." Erwin explains, "I'll come and find you later, theres a lot you need to be debriefed on."

"Ah, sure. Thanks." You say, determined to make a good first impression on the man who held great authority over the Scour Regiment, the man who could send you to your death without a second thought.

Dismounting your horse and taking its rein, you turned to the two recruits who seemed to be muttering amongst themselves, "So, where to?"

"Follow me." said the girl cheerfully.

The smaller boy eyed you carefully, and opened his mouth as if to ask you something, but a subtle punch to the side from the girl snapped his jaw shut, and he turned away.

"Is there something wrong?" You asked, not wanting to start your transfer with a negative reputation.

"It's just.."

"Connie, shut up."

The girl seemed angry, as she glared at Connie with an expression that clearly was intended as a warning.

"Hey look, if something's bothering you I'd rather you just tell me straight up." You attempted to say in the most friendly tone you could muster.

Connie stopped walking and turned to face you.

"It's just that I don't understand why they're transferring more squads here. It's like there's something they're preparing for, but nobody will tell us what it is..." he asked, trailing off into thought.

"I'll be honest with you, I have no idea either. But, the minute I can give you some information, I'll be sure to let you know." You assured.

Connie's shoulders relaxed, as he sighed with both relief and exhaustion.

"Thanks."

***

The duo lead you to your room, which was more spacious than you had imagined.

Throwing your case onto the double bed pressed against the wall, you sat down at the desk, and peered out of the window.

*KNOCK KNOCK*

"Come in!"

The door creaked open, and Erwin stood leaning at your doorway.

"Debrief in 5, come down my office and you can meet the other captains."

"Thanks."

Erwin took a look at your slumped self, and the bag you had thoughtlessly flung onto your bed.

"Hey... if you need anything, don't be scared to let me know. As your superior, I'm here to support you." He said with a grin. "See you in 5."