Handshakes

Oikawa Tōru may be many things, but he most definitely isn't an ostracizer. Is that even a word? He doesn't know, Kindaichi said it once and he's dumb as hell, so didn't know. Even so, he made sure everyone on the team was included in anything they did, whether it was team morning practices or going out for ramen, in which he regretfully paid. 

"In order to be a good captain, you need to look out for everyone. Got it shithead?"

"Were you always this valiant Iwa-chan, or is it just from this angle you look like an old wizard?"

"You little-"

And so Oikawa took his Iwa-chan's advice. Maybe a little too seriously. He even took the liberty of making up individual handshakes for each member of the team.

With Watari it was a simple back and forth hand slap into a fist bump.

With Yahaba it was a back and forth hand slap into a thumb war, and Oikawa always won. Yahaba always complained about losing and volunteered to change their handshake.

With Kyoutani it was usually a punch to the face on his side. Just kidding. The only thing Oikawa could get from him was a simple fist bump and angry growling. Even so, he noticed Yahaba and Kyoutani had made a small handshake of their own, despite Kyoutani's defiance.

Kindaichi was always the most eager. With him it was a back and forth hand slap into ankle kicks combatting each other. .

Kunimi was the least eager, matching Kyoutani's enthusiasm. It was usually an exasperated look with a tiny fist bump into a thumbs up into the two thumbs kissing each other. Oikawa thought it was adorable.

Hanamaki lived for any time Oikawa offered their handshake. Being the two most chaotic on the team, they made their handshake as exaggerated as possible. It was an elbow bump on each opposite side with an arm grab into Oikawa spinning with Hanamaki spotting and dipping him like they were both on So You Think You Could Dance. Granted, Makki usually dropped him, but Oikawa never took it personally.

Matsukawa was known as the chill one on the team, so Oikawa tried to make their handshake as glamorous as he could make it. Unfortunately, Mattsun threatened to expose Oikawa's crush on Iwaizumi if he did, so Oikawa settled with a simple back and forth slap into a tiny salute.

Even though Oikawa loved these handshakes, he loved the one with his Iwa-chan the most.

Even though it wasn't cool like Mattsun's or extravagant like Hanamaki's, Oikawa lived for every second he got to interact with his best friend. With Iwaizumi, it was a simple arm grab into a minor hip bump. But every single time they did the handshake, Oikawa would get these little butterflies in his stomach because he got to share this little special thing with his Iwa-chan. Even if it lasted only a few seconds.

There was this one time Kyoutani questioned him.

"Why do you even do these little handshake stuff with us?"

"Hm? What do you mean Kyouken-chan?"

"Don't call me that-"

"Don't be mean. He means, why go through all the trouble in doing something special for each person on the team? Seems like too much effort," Yahaba interrupted in hopes of calming down the situation.

Oikawa stroked his chin, "Well, as captain I need to look out for everyone," he sneaked a glance towards Iwaizumi, who was playing with his Godzilla printed tank top, "-everyone deserves to feel special, don't they?"

"Hm.. I guess that makes sense,"

"And plus, I need to make sure you all are dedicated enough to spike my precious sets. If you can't even put the effort into memorizing a handshake, you have no dedication in trying to match my skillset,," Oikawa went on, becoming serious in his last sentence.