Chapter Thirty-Eight

I slept for most of the flight, the full exhaustion of all I had been through finally claiming my body. Fitful dreams would wake me from time to time, and I would glance over Kieren's sleeping body to see the vast expanse of America passing below like a forgotten film. How had it only been three years since I'd crossed this land by train with Brady by my side?

I had been so naïve then, so wide-eyed at the endless plains of wheat, the horses in the distance, the long shadows of the Rocky Mountains swallowing the train and engulfing it in darkness.

And now those mountains were thousands of feet beneath me, and yet strong enough to make the plane rattle with turbulence. Kieren didn't stir, but I saw the top of Robbie's head in the seat in front of me as it turned violently to the other side. He didn't like to fly. Piper's dark blond hair came into view in the slit between the seats, resting her head on his shoulder.

She had paid for all our tickets, all except Mom's, with what she called "the magic credit card of death"—meaning the money her parents had left her. I felt guilty for having asked, but she had insisted. After all, everyone's future hung in the balance of preventing the upcoming war.

And Piper had big plans for her future with Robbie.

I allowed myself one quick glance to the seat across the aisle, but Mom had her head buried in an expensive-looking tablet by the opposite window. She didn't seem phased at all by the mission we were embarking on. It made me wonder, even now, if I could really trust her.

"Can we talk?" Kieren whispered by my side. I hadn't realized he was awake.

"Sure."

He cleared his throat, and I realized he must have had a prepared speech. I wasn't sure I was ready to hear it, but I owed him my attention for all he had done for me.

"I know we said last time we spoke we'd be friends," he began.

"We are friends."

"We're more than that," he corrected me, and he dipped his head to try to capture my eyes so I'd have to be honest with him. But I was always honest with Kieren. It was the other way around that had been the problem.

"Yes, we are," I agreed. "We'll always be more than that. But that doesn't mean—"

"I'm still in love with you."

I gasped as through he had thrown a cold drink in my face. "Wh—what?"

He blushed and looked down. "I'll say it again if you want, but it's going to be really awkward if you don't say it back."

I suddenly felt hot, and it took me a second to realize the heat came from anger more than any other emotion. "Why did you cheat on me then?"

His eyes squished shut for a moment, the words hitting him like a slap. "I was a kid. I fucked up. I—I wasn't ready."

"You were ready with Stephanie."

"Please don't say her name."

"Stephanie," I blurted out. "Stephanie. Stephanie."

Before I knew it, I had a hand plastered over my mouth. Kieren's face was inches from mine, briefly seized by anger. But then he willed the anger away and let his hand drop. "I'm sorry," he said. I didn't move, not even to blink, and this seemed to drive Kieren crazy. His large hands grabbed the sides of my head, pulling me closer, so his forehead could lean against mine.

"Say something," he whispered.

"What do you want me to say?" I asked. My voice faltered with the words, all the pain he had caused me finally catching up with me.