Big Bite

The gentle sound of her heart beating grew louder in her ears, and her hands trembled with the knife that it held. Today was the day.

 There was a faint drop of sweat trickle down his neck, and slide down his back like a singular slither of ice. Today he was going to be someone.

 Waves washed and rumbled at the side of the woman’s boat, rocking it and tossing it as the frayed rope clung to the dock. Her face showed lines of the sun, and her frail posture exposed her age just as well. Today was one of her last.

 Her lips were red and plump as her shinning white teeth bit down on them. She knew what she was set out to do, and she knew it was going to be better than any she had done before. She was going to be better than anyone had been before.

 It was his move first, after all the plan was simple. Today he was finally going to get what he deserved out of life. Today was going to be magnificent. If she didn't mess it up first.

 Younger generations always wandered the dock, weather they were looking for a place to stay the night, or looking for a dull way to spend their Saturdays. Of course she didn’t think of it as anything. Instead she stepped out from her boat, her bare feet delicately avoiding the bones and hooks that may lie on the rotting wood beneath her. And she set to her business fixing and fiddling with the knot that clung so deperatly to the post.

 She watched her brother walk up, it wasn’t like anything they say happen in movies. It wasn’t playing too fast to do anything, nor did time start in slow motion. She had everything in her power to stop it. But she didn’t. Even if he did go ahead of plan.

 He walked up to her, his thick boots meeting the ground where her bare feet once walked. His sister was there with her trembling hands, but he knew he didn’t need her there. He knew he could have done this by himself, that she wasn't going to step ahead.

 Unlike the others, it all happened to quickly for her. But then again she had more life to compare it to. One minute her delicate fingers played with the even more delicate rope, the next there was a burning sensation in her ribs and a sudden startle to her breath.

 She watched everything, every painful moment. But she was there because she wanted to be, not only for her brother, but for herself. She was going to be more, she was going to have more. And still, it hurt her. It hurt to watch his hand in her pocket, it hurt to watch her crumple to the floor, a knife in her side. It only made her more aware of the one in her hand.

 There was more than he had bargained for as he stepped inside the boat, but he only grabbed what they had agreed was right.

 There was only darkness for her. it was over all too quickly.

 There was nothing left for her to do. It wasn’t happening too quickly, nor too slowly. It was happening as it was. And she just watched it all unfold, the horrified expression across her once youthful face.