Comfort and Serenity

♫ Pulled the windows down, the night was young ♫

♫ So we'd hide under sheets, until the dawn. ♫

-Ben&Ben

☆*:.。.o(≧▽≦)o.。.:*☆

For Oikawa Tooru, it was witless how the tranquil ambience worked well in his favor on devoting priceless time with his secret lover, the other half of the famous Freak Duo, Kageyama Tobio's partner in court, and Karasuno High's resident sunshine – Hinata Shouyou.

It was not obvious for the setter at the beginning, didn't see his curiosity for the redhead slowly cascade into fondness, something he – a beguiling coquet – never experienced in all his years of having female and male alike tripping over themselves to win his praise. That knowledge was alien to him and therefore, he did not know what to do when he occasionally caught himself daydreaming about running his long finger over the younger's tangerine orange locks.

Empathy was such a intricate thing and yet, it was the only thought that crossed his mind when on a happenstance, he stumbled upon the usually beaming ginger screeching his heart out by the river, back hunched and body quivering. Without deliberation, the Sea castle captain pulled the ginger into his embrace, humming to him the melodies his mother used to sing when he was young. The tangerine was hesitant at first, but he quickly melded into the provided warmth, shamelessly crying his woes away.

For all his jolly and ecstatic front, Oikawa learned that the middle blocker was riddled with insecurities and anxieties, both in his ability as a volleyball athlete and appearance as a person. The setter's fists clenched as he hums, unwearyingly calming down the boy.

For weeks, Oikawa patiently helped the ginger find his confidence, offering his shoulders to cry on and his hands to hold on to. Along the way, as the walls around them crashed, when Chibi-chan turned to Shou-chan or Shouyou­ and Grand King contorted to To-chan or Tooru, the setter learned of the ginger's fire ever burning within, blazing lustrously. Oh how similar their drives were, how they could see the sweat and blood they devoted to the sport, how akin the siren's call that brought them together.

A week before Interhigh, Oikawa finally, finally, correctly interpreted his speedy heartbeat whenever the younger is near, correctly interpreted the squishy feeling at the pit of his stomach whenever the ginger laughs merrily, correctly interpreted the soft smile plastered on his face whenever the shrimp smiled at him.

He loves Hinata Shouyou.

Oikawa approached his childhood friend, Iwaizumi Hajime, and told him of their secret meetings, told him of the affection he holds for the epitome of the sun. Iwaizumi listened, watching the genuine emotions flashing on his friend's face. He listened and urged his companion to confess, and for once, Oikawa obeyed. The setter manned up and confessed the next day, catching Hinata off-guard. When the ginger returned his affection, Oikawa literally whooped and embraced the younger, who laughed with tears running down his orange orbs and melted into his hold.

Interhigh came and went, Aoba Johsai won against Karasuno, and Oikawa's concern about their newfound relationship dwindling due to the Crow coterie's lost was thrown outside the complex when the sun child climbed into his window and gave his heartfelt felicitations, his bronze orange eyes glowing with pride for him. After losing to Shiratorizawa, the setter properly introduced his inamorato to his long-time confidante, brazenly swooning when they quickly became good friends.

And now, here they are, two days before Hinata would leave for his training camp in Tokyo, a month full of holding hands and impromptu dates consisting of alien movies and buttered popcorns, both laying down on the older's bed, under their makeshift pillow fort. Oikawa let his boyfriend prattle on whatever it is in his lover's pretty head, content on lovingly gazing at him.

It amazed the flamboyant teen how they merely seemed to click, how their relationship appeared to flow effortlessly. It felt just right - like the sensation of hot coffee in front of a beach, like laying down on freshly washed bedsheets that smells like lavender. But it only appeared to be effortless. Behind the scenes, there was a telepathic understanding of knowing when to step over the line and when not to, understanding on where and when to touch. For two people known to be obnoxiously loud, their union was silent – relaxed and sincere, full of caring gazes that spoke volumes instead of their mouths.

As the sun slowly rises over the horizon outside his window, Oikawa pulled the younger into his embrace, the younger purring in his touch. They will have to worry about introducing their relationship to their teams – minus Iwaizumi and Kozume – in the future. For now, they basked in each other's presence, wholly comfortable and achieving serenity.

-<O>-