The traveler's diary

The church bells chime, their resonances weaving a bitterswet melody in the air. The birds, once gathered around the steeple, disperse hurriedly, as if fleeing an impending doom. Nayeon lifts her gaze toward the overcast sky, the memory of a hurricane warning lingering in the back of her mind.

"Thank god, it's the wedding rehearsals. Imagine this actually happening on her wedding day," Dahyun muses, a hint of apprehension tainting her words. Nayeon nods. The wedding has to be perfect.

For Mina.

As they enter the church, Momo guides them toward a mundane back door, leading to a corridor adorned with towering French windows that try but fail to dispel the enveloping darkness. "She's in the dressing room. Kind of panicking."

The hushed voices of the girls blend well with the somber atmosphere. Tzuyu stands guard outside a worn brown door, head shaking in silent warning. "She's going to bite your head off if you go inside. Don't tell me I didn't warn you."

The other members hesitate, hovering in the dimly lit corridor, expressions filled with uncertainty. Jihyo, with a heavy sigh, takes charge, pulling Nayeon along. "As the oldest members, we have a responsibility to guide the younger ones. Even the ones in the midst of a panic attack." The weight of their duty settles on them like the clouds overhead, each step down the corridor resonating with a forlorn note, as if the very walls of the church hold the echoes of both anticipation and a lingering dread.

"I look hideous." Mina's whine reverberates through the air, and a dry chuckle forms in Nayeon's throat, an agonizing familiarity that she's grown all too used to. Mina, the epitome of beauty and brilliance, has always been painfully oblivious to her own allure.

A distant rumble of thunder echoes just as Mina turns to Jihyo. "Jihyo-chan, this dress is too tight."

Nayeon knows Mina hasn't seen her yet. The space near the door is poorly lit, and a cupboard, along with Jihyo's shoulders, obscures her from the Japanese girl's view.

Emerging from the shadows, Nayeon positions herself by Jihyo's side. Mina doesn't say anything, except for the subtle flush to her cheeks that tells Nayeon she's aware of her presence and is embarrassed by her outburst.

"You look beautiful." The truth resonates simply. In the large, minimalistic room, Mina, in a long, overflowing white dress, appears nothing short of ethereal.

"Thank you."

An insecurity still lingers in the crease of the younger girl's brow, but it smoothens out after a few seconds, a hesitant smile grazing her face.

It makes her look even more stunning.

The lump in Nayeon's throat grows more pronounced. She hasn't smoked in years, quitting after a three-month rebellious phase against the management at the start of her career. The urge to light one again is suddenly overwhelming.

"I'll wait outside."

The first drop of rainfall kisses the earth just as the rehearsals conclude. Hastily, goodbyes are exchanged, and everyone scurries to escape the awaiting storm. The skies mirror her desolation, even more miserable than they were in the afternoon.

"He left in his car. I'm waiting for a taxi," She hears Mina inform Dahyun. What kind of man leaves his soon-to-be wife waiting for a ride with a hurricane approaching? It's not her place to say it. She bites her tongue, suppressing the words that beg to be spoken.

"The rain's starting. You can't wait here for long. It's dangerous," Sana chides. "Why don't you go in Nayeon's car? She's dropping Chaeyoung and Dahyun off at their dorm."