Chapter two: Arden

The King and Queen have two sons, twins. Prince Atticus and Prince Callen, King Hakan and Queen Adeena hide their sons away in the palace. The only way I can win the affection of one of the twins, is if the King and Queen host a ball for the twins to find a wife. Without the ball I have no chance of getting into the palace let alone finding the prince's.

"Arden! Get the post. And bring it to my office!" Father yells from downstairs.

"Yes father." He normally has the servants bring in the post, but I haven't seen the help in a couple days.

I open the door and walk out front to see the post man just walking away. "Thanks." I say to the man.

He waves in return. And heads off on his bike. When I walk to fathers office while flipping through the mail. The post is mainly for Father from the King. He is supposed to train new comers of the Royal Guard next week. I flip through the last bits of the post to see a newspaper. Finally, I've been waiting for this. The headline reads "King Hakan and Queen Adeena are hosting two weeks worth of a ball for Prince Atticus and Prince Callen's betrothal."

    This has to be a joke. I say to myself in complete disbelief. I knock before entering Father's office, he's cleaning his muskets, and sharpening his swords. I drop the post on his desk and take the newspaper with me. "Hey what's that? I said all the post, you know not to take anything."

    "Right. Sorry Father. I was just reading about King Hakan and Queen Adeena opening the palace for their sons betrothal."

    "Give me the newspaper when you're done. And I didn't think that you'd want to be married to those entitled brats."

    My eyes widen. Brats. I never thought my Father would speak ill of the King's sons. He's worked closely with the King for many years, perhaps since before I was born. It actually makes sense, he goes to the palace everyday for a couple hours, so he's bound to get annoyed hearing the twins and especially since they can't leave.

    "Father, are you going to the palace today? Because if you are, can I come? I was going to write to the King and Queen and thank them for inviting everyone. And I've also never met her, and I'd like to."

    "Sure. But get dressed you look like a servant. Get a proper corset on, and ask your Mother to help you. We'll leave at 3:00."

    "Oh! Thank you Father. I will."

    I hate when he talks to me like that. He's the only man I will obey, and the King of course because if I don't I would be hung for my "crimes," I only obey my Father because he's been acting weird lately and hasn't treated me the same as always. He's been more harsh, more cold, but he's also letting me tag along today so he must be in a good mood.

    "Mother? Are you out here?" Mother often sits outside in the garden.

    "Oh yes. I'm here. Did you need something?" She says from behind the bushes.

    "I need your help putting my corset and gown on."

    She nearly chokes on her words before getting them out. "Wait- you never ask for my help. You never want it. What's going on?"

    "Oh I'm going with Father to the palace." Her eyes widen almost popping out of her head.

    "How much time do we have? I need to help you with your hair too."

    "I think an hour."

    She quickly grabs my arm. Her grip was so strong I could feel her nails digging under my skin. She drags me upstairs to my bedroom. I honestly don't understand how she can walk that fast in her gown.