14.- A delayed decision

Dong Hua was recently closed in his study and nobody could approach him, even his close friend Lian Song, the third Imperial Prince. After one whole month the prince managed to meet him again and complained that as a friend he could help him with any difficulty he had. But Dong Hua didn't answer. Next months they used to meet regularly as before, but Lian Song could see clearly that Dijun was very depressed and absentminded many months now and did not stay with him as long as before. He asked Chonglin what had happened to Dijun, but Chonglin could not tell him the truth. In the end, Lian Song asked him openly.

LS: Dong Hua, why are you so upset? Fortunately, you are healthy now and you must be happy, after such a bad thing. But...

DH: "...."

LS: Has Fengjiu's reappearance in your life affected you in some way? I can't find any other reason.

Dong Hua's very slight smile was bitter.

LS: Ooh...! That's it. You fell in love only once in your very long life and it was very deep. Who could believe it? Anger, hate and love are strongly connected, in the end... But, where is she now? I haven't seen her for many months. She does not participate in the clan leader's meetings in the Sky Kingdom anymore. Why?

Dong Hua's stare focused on the Go motionless, but he did not reply. He could not.

He had spent many nights awaken, either thinking of his relationship with her and the complication which had been established between them for many years now or that old nightmare of his, which he had to face in the future – he was sure. None of the past dangers had anything to do with this one, he could feel it, although he was already extremely anxious about her health during her absence. He had visited the Old Man many times again to learn anything about her condition. The Old Man had tried to calm him and ensure that she was not in danger. She only needed time to get rid of that part of the dark magic she had taken, which had nearly killed him.

Dong Hua had never before till now felt so helpless and useless. He also was quite sure that the Old Man had sent her to cure him in his stead, because he wanted to make him see her under a different point of view. He was a wise man who knew the emperor's criteria and motives but also... his needs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fengjiu remained in seclusion for more than a year. She was heavily affected by Dong Hua's burden, but she never repented that she had taken from him such a big burden. This one year, she had left behind her a representative to take care of the necessary matters of her kingdom. Zhe Yan had helped her very much, too. He was the only one who knew about her relationship with the Old Man, her teacher in poisons, and the fact that she had saved Dong Hua Dijun from certain death.

Zhe Yan could see clearly that Dong Hua was during all this time very depressed and thoughtful. He was sure that this was not due to his debt to her, but to his feelings. The feeling of debt should give other signs. Dong Hua was so depressed that he even did not manage to thank her for healing him. During the leader's meetings he was always searching with his eyes around, obviously waiting for somebody.

After more than one year, at last, Fengjiu returned, but she first visited her teacher. He was very happy to see her strong and healthy again.

Teacher: Did Dong Hua Dijun thank you for saving his life?

FJ: Eh?... mm, just a moment... I think... oh, no, he didn't... (she giggled). I suppose that he was so embarrassed when he saw me suddenly in his palace, that he could not think clearly.

Teacher: Mm...! That's right. He is not an unthankful man, but he was obviously focused on his relationship with you.

FJ: How is that possible, teacher? After 10.000 years a relationship? Impossible.