Almost Human

"Oh, and do come back! I so enjoy peering into your destiny." The glimmering brook in front of you was singing its bubbly tales, flowing on and on, never stopping. You could see how pinkish the water body has become, signalizing the arrival of dusk. Those light pink little waves reminded you of certain someone who originates from the land of pink, Pandoria. You could understand how ordinary people would link the pink colour to roses, cotton candy, cute, fluffy blankets, sparkling lemonade, chewing gum, raspberries or perhaps the colour of the blushing sky, blushing cheeks, the physical proximity of their loved ones... This flow of thoughts made you roll your eyes on how sentimental you were getting. However, Pandoria completely changed your view on this adored colour, you remembered racing through the pink vastness, there was no breeze caressing your hair, the air was completely still and too dense. There was no sound but the gurgling puddles, which joined the bright sun in creating an incredibly constraining feeling, making you feel like a prisoner. Was it even the Sun that was shining upon everything beneath it so mercilessly? Probably not. Pandoria dwells in its very own dimension with a universe on its own, probably. And the guardians, the shadow monsters, those black whirling balls of nothingness, willing to devour anything that would be so unlucky to come in their way. Their menacing quiet rumbling. You remembered observing them and noticing the single white spot in their core which seemed like it was fuelling the whirl. The guardians reminded you of black holes. No eyes, no sign of them being alive, yet they were animated, somehow.

You shook your head, 'Foolish magician, bet he didn't see this coming,' you thought as you were aggressively tearing a blade of grass apart, focusing on making as little pieces as possible.

"Hello, beautiful."

Bloody imp. You squeezed your eyes shut as if to delay this encounter as much as possible, yet meeting him was inevitable. You took a deep breath and slowly turned your head around, eying him. Ydris was leaning against a sturdy tree, watching you with an unpredictable smirk on his lips, while twirling something between his fingers. His top hat was put a little sideways, creating a somehow satisfying asymmetry with his hetero-chromatic eyes. His back faced the setting sun in the West which made his figure appear darker and rather imposing.

"Well, you're probably not going to dignify that with a response, but I'm pleased to at least get your attention after all, I've been standing here for quite some time now, the bark is actually pretty harsh, just so you know," he said, never breaking the eye contact.

"I'm sure your fine coat will make it, besides, no one forced you to be glued to the tree," you finally replied which made him lift his right eyebrow.

"Glue? Oh dear, how very unfortunate that would be. Could you imagine Ydris the Amazing being glued to a tree, what an outrage –" he stopped ranting, as he saw you rolling your eyes.

"Anyway," he waved his hand as if to chase away a fly "that is not why I find myself in your presence, my dear Y/N."

You kept staring as him, expecting to reveal the real reason for his arrival, yet he didn't seem willing to utter another word as he seemed fascinated with a loose thread on his sleeve now. But you got the message.

"What are you doing here, then?" You said, rising up and cleaning your riding pants in the process.

"Why, I'm glad you asked, my little busy bee!" He switched his attention back to you immediately. "You see, that fire you demonstrated back there," gesturing his thumb somewhere behind his back "that almost melted my ice-cold heart."

Why does he find so much joy in being such a drama queen?

You decided to ignore the words about the fire, since you thought he was low-key mocking you, as you only ran away from Rhiannon and him, nothing more.

You scoffed. He raised an eyebrow.