Chapter one

The war between the humans and fairies had started pretty abruptly, but no doubt had the hatred been there for years. It was normalised for the two species to hate each other, or for one to want to harm the other. The hatred between the two species had been building for hundreds of years.

The war hadn't officially started until only about four months ago. When the royal palace of the fairies had been ambushed by the human army, killing most of the people in there, including most of the royal family. The reason the army gave was that only days prior fairies had set fire to a house, leaving  an elderly couple, along with their grandson Reggie, to burn alive.

Or so they thought.

Soon after everything went to shit, Reggie joined fairies, Princess Julie, Prince Alex and Prince Carlos along with humans, Luke, Willie and Flynn.

Last night was the first night since the war began that the group had a proper place to spend the night.

It was shortly after they had been attacked that they had found the old abandoned inn. Sure it wasn't the greatest place and there was mold and rats everywhere, but it was better then sleeping on the ground or in trees again. It also happened to be perfect timing because Flynn needed to help Alex, who had a gnarly gash on his leg and needed to rest, plus everyone was exhausted.

Reggie, the only fairan (fairy-human hybrid) of the group was the first to wake that morning. He had spent the night sharing a room with the three royal fairies, who were currently fast asleep in the surprisingly comfortable bed, while Reggie had insisted the night before that he would sleep on the lumpy couch, which was at the foot of the bed.

He quietly slid off of the couch, and next to his dark brown backpack, being careful not to wake the other three who were still snoring. He looked behind to double check, letting out a sigh of relief when he saw that they were still fast asleep.

Once he saw them still sleeping he turned around and reached into his backpack, pulling out a red notebook that had pieces of newspaper with a gold painted trim skeins the paper as a cover.

He was about to open it when he heard Luke slam open the door

"Rise and shi-" Luke was cut off by Alex throwing a pillow at his face and then proceeded to tell him to "shut the fuck up its six am you dickhead".

Willie poked his head through the door "aw babe, don't be mean to Luke, he could kick you out of the group and I won't get to see you every morning" he pouted.

"Alex is literally heir to the throne and could have us all killed whenever he wants. What the fuck can Luke do?" Flynn yelled as she came up the stairs.

"That is very true" Reggie smirked, rushing to put away his notebook hoping no one had seen it, but of course Luke sat right next to him and pointed at the notebook.

"Whatcha got there Reg? Is this about your dad?". Luke gave him a sympathetic smile, he knew how much it would've meant for Reggie to meet his father, but now due to the war he will never get to fulfil his lifelong dream, seeing both of his parents alive, standing side by side.

"Yeah but" he paused, trying to hold back his tears, "all I really know is he's a fairy, his name might be Michael or James, and that he's dead." Luke rubbed Reggie's back.

"That sucks, we all know what it's like to lose a parent, or parents, and I promise that it does get better, and we will survive this war even if we die."

"That doesn't make any sense but yeah." Alex gave him a reassuring smile, it was very small but it helped a lot.

"I'm gonna go try and get some food, anybody wanna come with?" Flynn asked as she bent down to look at Alex's healing wound.

"I'll come" Julie yawned.
"Sure I'll go" Willie replied.
"Me too" Reggie sighed, getting up from his spot on the ground.

"Alright where are we heading?" Willie asked.

Reggie placed his backpack straps over his shoulders, "I think I saw a market when we found this place last night", he pointed to the left, but his hand dropped as quickly as it went up, "but it was a fairy market".

If this was a human market then Flynn and Willie could easily get in there, but since it was a fairy market it was too dangerous. Julie couldn't go in in case there was human soldiers nearby that might try and kill her, and since most humans and fairies were disgusted at the thought of a human and a fairy getting together and having a baby, there was basically a 100% chance that Reggie would either be refused service, be kicked out immediately or possibly get attacked.

"So I guess that leaves us with one option. Steal" Reggie sighed