he lands

Surya Kiran is an ex cop. His family is from Andhrapradesh and he is living a quite life, far from his family, somewhere in Mumbai. There are many stories going on in news and publications but it is a mystery why he chose to resign from his job. He was a happy man until something changed his life forever and he cut ties from everyone he knew. He couldn't be the man he was anymore.

He has an elder brother, Murali, who lives abroad and doesn't really bother about him or his family. He is the most selfish any family can have. He has an younger sister too, Swathi, who is genuine and loving lady. She is the first person who tries hard for her brother to be happy again. Murali and Swathi however are busy with their own families and busy with their lives.

Surya's father died when he was very young. He served in a central government job and since his mother, Lakshmi, was a graduate herself, she got his job after his death. She being a single parent did an amazing job raising her three children to be successful citizens. However, now she is ill and her only worry is about Surya to have someone in his life.

No one really knows what happened in Surya's past or why he resigned. He is almost 40 and he chose to live alone. He got to know that his mother is not bring well and these might be her last few days. He is so much attached to his mother so he decided to take care of her from now on and stop being far from family.

Lakshmi is living alone in her flat in Hyderabad, which she bought when she got promoted. Surya left that place almost 8 years ago and never really cared to come back.

Surya landed in Hyderabad airport and takes a cab to their flat. He feels like time is going very slow for him. All the memories are passing by during his journey. How his mother took care of him when he was sick, how she danced when he got first place in exams and so on. His eyes got moist thinking of how he left her alone all these years.

After reaching their apartments, he noticed how many things changed in their locality. No one actually recognised him while he was passing by to the elevator. He too didn't want any attention so he rushed to his flat. In the east corner of 3rd floor, there are two flats. Right one is theirs and left was owned by some elderly malayali couple.

He thought so much was changed even the exteriors of the apartment. Only their flat was left out without any renovation it seemed. He was reaching their flat and on the left side of the corridor, he noticed many pots all of them painted with same colour maroon and some "muggu" design on it.

Surya

I heard some anklets sound. It's more like someone's dancing. The sound or music I kept hearing from the left side flat while I knocked on our flat. My mother opened the door and cried looking at me. I never got this weak in my knees. Looking at how my beautiful mother became very old, I couldn't accept it. In 10 years, it seemed like she put on 30 years of age. I can see all the sufferings she had endured in her eyes and how much pain I have added on top of that made me hate myself.

It was the hardest 5 minutes of my life with my mother. I promised her that I will never ever leave her and that's the happiest I have ever seen her.

She prepared a light meal and I noticed how slow she became. I remember her as the most active person and looking at how aged she is now makes me cry. She was telling me how all the neighborhood is supportive and how she survived living alone.

The day passed by just like that and I was wondering what to do to earn, to keep myself busy and give some best days for my mother in last few years. I have decided to call my old friend from childhood, Bharat, who is now running a restaurant here somewhere. When I cut ties with everyone, I kept in touch with only two people on earth. One is my mother and other is Bharth. Even though, I didn't meet them I kept calling and checking upon them. I came outside the home and called him, and told him that I have landed and want to meet and discuss the next plans. We have decided to meet around 7 in the evening at our old hanging spot. During the call I noticed it's the same time as yesterday and I hear the dance, music and anklets again. I went back in and asked my mother casually about that sound and music. She said there's a dance tuition of Kuchipudi happens in the opposite flat. She said it no more belongs to that Malayali couple and someone else recently bought the flat and got it renovated.

Around 6, I informed my mother that I am going to meet Bharat and will be back by dinner time. I helped her in household chores and got ready to head out. I wore a simple grey t-shirt and black jeans and while wearing shoes, I heard the anklets sound very near by. I sensed it could be from opposite flat as only two flats are there in this corner. I also sensed that could be some lady very near by. I slowly tilted my head to see the most beautiful women I have ever seen. She must be my neighbour from opposite flat. She is wearing a white kurti with navy blue leggings and big jhumkas. How she managed to look that magnificent even when she dressed up very simple is amazing. She is locking her door and while doing so she looked at me and gave me a small smile like hello. I immediately turned away and left the place and I am sure I looked very arrogant.

It's been years I last thought of any other women and for few seconds I couldn't stop recollecting her image in my mind. How big her eyes are and how sweet her smile is all I have in mind. I realised she looked like a lady in 30s and probably more than 35. I thought she must be married by now. This all happened in 10 seconds or so and I realised I kept thinking about her and immediately shrugged off her thoughts. Not having a girl in life is something that makes you crazy sometimes I guessed.

To be continued