Chapter Six

Sigh ... I wish this were mine, but alas it is not. It belongs to Stephenie Meyer.

To answer a few questions in the first chapter's reviews ... this story is loosely based on Into the Storm. Granted, I made some changes to the plot, improving it as it were. Adding romance (citrus!) and finding out what happened after the tornado.

Tornadoes are rated on the Enhanced F (EF) Scale (the old scale was called the Fujita (F) Scale), which assigns a number (0 to 5) based on estimates of 3-second wind gusts and damage. There have been more than 50 F5/EF5 tornadoes recorded in the United States since 1950.

Thursday, May 27th, 2021
11:30am
Elgin Paper Mill
Elgin, Oklahoma

Parking the car, Jane and Alec got out of the Beetle, looking at the abandoned paper mill. Jane shuddered. "This place is creepier with the ominous clouds surrounding it."

"The sooner we get through this, the better. I got a text that we're under a tornado watch," Alec muttered, following Jane through a hole in the fence. He held up the camera, taking a slow pan of the property. "What did you do for your project? What shots did you take?"

"I walked around the main building and then I gave my 'speech' inside of the factory," Jane said. "But, it was a sunny day and the light was better."

"We can make this work," Alec said, giving her a reassuring grin. "Come on. Let's get the exterior shots before it starts raining." They made their way around the building, focusing on the disrepair. Windows were broken, machinery was strewn around the grounds and it was clear that animals had taken up residence inside. When they got to the entrance, Jane frowned. "What is it?"

"New lock," she muttered. "How can we get in there?"

Alec handed Jane the camera and he found a huge rock. Using all his strength, he broke the padlock and weaved the chain off the door. He opened it with a flourish as the rain began to fall in fat splats. "We may have to wait out the storm in here," Alec said, stepping inside. "Do you want to wait until it passes?"

"Let's get some interior shots," Jane said.

They wandered around the building with the rainfall as their soundtrack. "What was your project about? Why did you choose the paper mill?"

"This place provided so much employment for the community and when it moved out, most of the jobs being outsourced, so many people lost their jobs," Jane sighed. "My dad worked here for his entire career. He started when he was in high school, working part time. Then, he moved up the ranks until he was in charge of the day shift. He didn't make a lot of money, but he was happy and worked hard for me, my brother and mom. Then, this place closed down and he ... lost it. This whole town lost it. It's a ghost town, to be honest."

"What about your dad?" Alec frowned.

"He packed up and left," Jane answered. "He left my mom, my brother and me ..."

"I totally get the dad leaving," Alec sighed. "Except my dad left when he died."

"Oh, shit," Jane squeaked. "You must think that I'm so spoiled."

"What?! No!" Alec said, shaking his head. "My dad was a complete douche. I don't miss him at all. Your dad just up and left because he lost his job?"

"He needed to find a new job and I get that," Jane shrugged. "While he was looking for a new job, he found a new life. He had divorce papers delivered to my mom, along with paperwork to relinquish his parental rights. So, opening up the paper mill again will revitalize the town's economy. I don't expect my dad to come back, but ..."

The winds picked up and a few windows shattered with incoming hail. Alec moved Jane away from the window, toward the center of the paper mill. Thankfully, most of the large equipment had been removed and the rooms were empty. "We should probably get into an interior room. If the roof collapses, it would be bad. Very bad," Alec said, taking Jane's hand and guiding her to a set of offices. As Alec forced the door open, the sirens began to wail and the building began to shudder. "Under the desk!"

Jane crawled underneath the desk and Alec joined her, pulling her into his arms.

"Alec, I'm scared," Jane cried.

"I've got you, Jane. I've got you," Alec breathed as his own heart stammered against his chest. "I've got you."

A/N: You still with me? This is proof positive that Alec is not a huge jerk. He's got a good heart. He's just carrying too much thanks to his douche-canoe dad. Anyhow, pictures from this chapter are on my blog. You can access the blog from the link on my profile. I'm also on FB: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation. Twitter, too: tufano79.

Leave me some!