Chapter 4: Opportunities

For the next week or so me and Sadie would hang out quite often. One day, me and Sadie were chatting on our way to class.

"So you took interest in set design?" Sadie asked.

"Yup. I'm not quite sure if I will continue that though..." I sighed. 

"Even if this school seems boring, there's always something you'll take interest in. They have this board in the hallway with loads of opportunities!" Sadie went on. We took a seat at our desks.

"Really? Like what?" I whispered sarcastically, making sure not to get our teacher's attention.

"Each year, there's a science fair!" She revealed excitedly.

My nose crinkled in disgust. "Sadie, I hate science."

She frowned. "Doesn't mean you can't try, Bella."

"What if I don't want to try," I argued. 

"I never said you had to, but it's an option. I think you should do anything that makes you happy," she shrugged.

"It surely won't be the science fair," I laughed.

A while later.

On my way back to my dorm, I noticed the old board. I began to advance towards it, but I was stopped by an annoying voice.

"Hey Bella," Irene teased. "I'm surprised you haven't been caught in a rat trap already."

What kind of insult is that? 

At this point Irene has teased me so much I don't care. 

One day she poured salt on me and said, "sorry, I mistook you for a slug." Another day I was roadkill, "rotten and disgusting." The day after that a disease "infecting" her space. 

"Irene, quit bothering me."

"Irene, quit bothering me," she mimicked. A trio of girls behind her giggled in some sort of approval.

While they had their "fun" I took a close look at the board. Nothing much, huh? A bright flyer caught my eye. Pulling it off the board I realized it was for the science fair. 

Before I had a chance to put it back, Irene spoke up. "Trying to compete in the contest, rat?" She snorted, "It's for the science fair, but I always take first place."

 Of course she does, the school's big brat.

"And I bet you don't even understand science, since you were dumb enough to get expelled."

Suddenly, anger began to build up inside of me. I already felt terrible enough about the whole expelled thing, why does she always have to bring it up?

I turned around, and stared her dead in the eyes.

Right then and there, I said something I shouldn't have. 

"Well, roadkill, be prepared to land in second." I mocked.

I don't like to say mean things, but this time I couldn't take it. I broke just like she wanted me to, even if I wanted her to taste her own medicine. 

Irene wasn't stunned. She laughed in my face, and the girls behind her began to whisper and giggle.

"Wow, the rat really is stupid!"

 I continued to my dorm, red faced and holding the flyer in my hand.

Great. Now I have to win a science fair.