Fly Me to the Moon

The soft patter of your feet was hushed by the rug beneath you. Bare feet tickled by the plush and fuzzy material that caressed your toes with each step.

You had come home from being out all day, seeing old friends you would say, despite them being rather new to you as was the era. That was not of any importance though— what mattered now was the whereabouts of your lover.

You were certain he was still here, as you had asked him in the morning if he had plans, and all that had come of the conversation was that he intended to work on his plays. You had wished him luck, a kiss to his cheek goodbye, not taking note of how those bi-colored eyes trailed after your figure as you flitted away.

Your goal was in sight as you sauntered down the hall with a skip to your step, eager to greet him and fall into his embrace. He was just beyond the cracked door of the study.

A hand delicately pressed against the stained, smooth door to open it. Your voice flitted over the air in greeting eagerly, "William, I'm—"

Where you found your poet and playwright was where you had expected him... mostly.

It was a rather adorable sight, one that had caught you off guard.

Stretched over the muted rose-hued chaise was William, stretched languidly and so unguardedly. A hand curled against his cheek while his chin dipped against his chest, which rose and fell in deep, peaceful breathes. Papers littered over his lower abdomen and lap— one still loosely held in the hand that had fallen towards the floor, above yet another few pages scattered across the plush carpet.

One of your hands came to gently press against your mouth, hiding the growing smile and stifling the sweet laughter that threatened to pour from your lips.

The slight noise of your amusement caused a bundle of tawny fur— one you had missed moments before— to stir.

Eyes of amber and scarlet blinked open towards you. A pink nose wiggled, small whiskers shivered in response. Long, soft ears stretched up and towards you.

In acknowledgment of your presence, Puck stood up and bounced from his perk at William's side, bounding over to your feet with a strange eagerness.

He was a curious rabbit, unafraid of you and so excited by your appearance now, and you adored it.

"Hi, Puck," You greeted the bunny, scooping him into your hands from off the floor.

A bundle of fur in hand, you stroked him gently between the ears as you quietly crept forward. You rounded the low table between the seating arrangements and towards the chaise.

Once more, Puck was on the plush seat, taking the initiative to return to his place nestled between his loving owner's arm and side.

You smiled at the action before turning your attention to the floor.

Toes gently brushed against the corner of the pages as you shifted, moving to bend and pick them up. You were careful as you slipped the one from his fingers and collected the others from your lover's lap— cautiously so as not to disturb his much-needed rest.

Smooth paper shuffled through your fingers, doing your best to organize them in the somewhat order you retrieved them. More or less satisfied with them, you placed the stack on the elongated table.

Puck all the while watched your movement, curious to what you might be doing. It was only when you were done and turned towards him and his owner, did you both make eye contact.

Sometimes the watchful intelligence beyond those heterochromatic eyes was unnerving— always so observant and keen much like...

Your eyes softened as they found their way to William's peaceful expression.