Slumber

I laid in bed listening to the tiny fan on the small table beside my bed. The white noise helping drown out the constant distractions around me. The unpacked boxes, a single line of Christmas lights not lit, and the raspy-like breathing coming from the hallway.

Wait, raspy breathing? I know Sydney and Kate were asleep in the other room and that all the doors and windows were locked. I just chose to shut my eyes and focus on the fan. Passing it off as the old heater downstairs since the noise was coming from that part of the hall.

Yet, the more I stayed focused on the fan, the more audible the raspy breathing became. Almost as it it was heading to the master bedroom. I curled up into a ball and held my pillow tighter hoping to get more comfy in bed. I would not let this keep me from resting.

Suddenly, the wood panel in front of the bathroom creaked and then the noise stopped. Some minutes of silence passed and I felt myself slowly slipping away. My body feeling weightless on the pillow-top mattress as my head became clear and empty.

But just as I felt myself let go there was a noise coming from the hall. Another wooden panel creaked only this time it was closer. I began pondering which it was when a third panel creaked and I knew it sounded familiar. It was the uneven panel in my bedroom doorway.

I kept my eyes tightly closed while I could hear footsteps on the panels getting closer to my bed. The raspy breathing was gone but the heavy footsteps continued until they were just at the edge of my bed. Cold beads of sweat ran down my hot skin as I felt consumed by my anxiety. I felt a pit in my stomach get bigger with every second until the voice whispered out to me.

"Mommy? Can I sleep with you?" I heard Kate ask me. I pulled the sheets from over my head to see her blue eyes staring back at me. "I had a nad nightmare." She told me.

"Oh, of course sweety. Climb into bed and I'll keep you safe." I said while reaching out to pick her up. I gently rubbed her back as I positioned her in front of me and I wrapped my arm around her. Covered by the warm sheets I watched her face grow a smile ear to ear.

"What about your sister? Did she have a nightmare too?" I asked while stroking her blonde hair.

"Mmm, no she's okay." Kate answered. I felt a wonderful rush of relief as I laid my head on a pillow and closed my eyes. Once again feeling myself fall asleep only to be stopped by Kate talking.

"It said it would watch her until she fell asleep." She told me as I began to feel a horrid stabbing in my chest that caused my spine to chill and my skin to freeze.