Chapter 13: Guilt

Felix was sat on the couch of his and his wife's ( Tamora Jean Calhoun) apartment. He thought to himself, mostly about what happened at tappers last night. It was a lot.

The handyman had admitted to hearing the old turbo's voice. That made him sound crazy, maybe he was going crazy. Most likely crazy with guilt. That's probably what this all about. The guilt of everything he did, or rather, didn't do. All the arguments he witnessed and he didn't stop them, nobody did. Felix was more observant than he let on. He saw the turbo break as soon as friends were mentioned. All he had to do was tell him that they were friends. That he wasn't on his own.

But he didn't. And now he felt like he was partly responsible for this beginning in the first place. Maybe he should speak to someone about it. There was only one person who he felt would listen. Tamora.

"Tamora, sweetheart?" he called out in a less than happy voice. "Yeah?" she replied, slightly concerned at how melancholy her husband sounded. "I- think it time I told you the truth."
______________________________________

"And then the twins came to help him out. After all that he- well. You know the rest." Felix finished telling calhoun his tale of what really happened the night before turbo went turbo. Saying this all out loud made him feel ashamed. When he first told his wife about turbo, felix made turbo sound like he was a selfish little brat. But he wasn't. He was just a lonely kid.

"So after all that. He was just a sad, lonely teenager who was bullied into being a villain. Why didn't you say anything earlier? That would've saved us a lot of work y'know." Calhoun had said half upset with how dishonest her husband had been. "Trust me, I know that. I wish I hadn't. But everytime I talk, or even think about it, I feel guilty. I know what I did was wrong but I felt- well, I didn't wanna be in the same position as him." Calhoun sighed. She understood where he was coming from.

"You know what you need to do right?" felix shook his head. "Well, you'll have to talk to the little turbo. Tell him the truth. Thats all he wants, right?" felix thought for a moment. That was true. He wasn't really sure why but he knew that the new turbo seemed to be particularly interested in what to the original turbo. Felix came to a decision. He would go and see turbo and talk to him. Hopefully he could put this whole thing to rest. "Want me to come with you?" felix shook his head. "No, I have to do this alone."
______________________________________

Felix approached turbo's house. It seemed everytime he came here was for a reason that wasn't particularly happy. As soon as he knocked the door swung open to reveal turbo himself. Usually it was jett or gear  but this time it was the teen himself. "I need to talk to you, may I come in?" turbo opened the door wide enough for him to get in. The racer seemed quiet. Quieter than normal anyway.

"Jett and Gear are out gettimg groceries. What did you wanna talk about, fix-it?" something seemed off here. Felix didn't know what turbo was like when he was in a bad mood but even so, something felt off about him. The sudden change of attitude made him question whether or not he wanted to tell him anymore.

" Um, I think it about time I told you the truth about what happened that night. Before turbo lost his mind." turbo suddenly looked at him with an unreadable look. "I already know what happened. He was bullied into it. He broke, no thanks to you or those assholes out there." Turbo snarled, this was beyond how he normally acted. "Don't speak to me like tha-" felix was about to yell back before he noticed Turbo's eyes. They were glowing. Just like the original turbo. Felix would be lying if he said wasn't intimidated.

"I thought we were friends felix! I thought you liked me! Why didn't you help me that night! You just sat and watched!" the handyman stepped back. This wasn't happening, it couldn't be! Felix ran for the door but turbo stood in front of the door. "Turbo! What's going on with you?! I didn't do anything to you!" turbo growled at him. "Didn't do anything? Exactly! Just keep telling yourself your innocent so you don't feel guilty!" felix gasped slightly as he realised what exactly was happening.

Suddenly, the front door swung open. Felix jumped out of the way, turbo however was no so lucky. The corrupted teen got a hard slam to the face as Gear entered the house looking confused. "OW!" The voice from behind the door squeaked. "Oh gosh! Turbo, I'm so sorry! Why were you behind the door?" The other twin followed in, closing the door after him. "I- I don't know! I thought I was in my room actually...." turbo yelled in frustration as he held his face.

"Oh, hey felix! When did you get here?" Jett greeted as he put the bags full of groceries on the kitchen counter. "Hi- I uh. Well, I got here a few minutes ago. Just came to see how you were doing after last night!" felix laughed nervously. He hated lying but he didn't want to upset the teen nor his brothers. "Oh yeah. Heh, thanks for that. I'm fine, guess I got carried away last night. I'm sorry." Jett apologised, now feeling slightly embarrassed for his behaviour. "Don't worry about it! We all have those nights!" the handyman smiled genuinely. At least the twins weren't arguing anymore. Felix looked over to turbo and Gear. The older of the brothers was grabbing tissue for the nosebleed the teen had been given. He'd have to tell them eventually, just not now.

"You want a drink or anything felix?" Jett asked as he put the food and supplies in their proper places. "Um, no thank you. I best be off! Tamora is waiting for me!" the three racers were now looking at him. "Well, thanks for stopping by felix! See you later!" Jett said as the handyman left. He heard the other two brother say a quick good bye and he began walking back to game central station.

Felix really didn't want to get involved in Turbo's little mission to figure out what happened to his former self but it seemed as though he'd have to. Seeing that he now knew things that turbo didn't. This whole thing was a mess.

Why him? Was this his second chance at befriending the lonely racer?