The Fallen

I looked at the bathroom window plotting how I was going to get in without being caught. I crawled into the window. I made a thud like sound when I hit the floor. Mom's footsteps got louder. I could hear her walking to the bathroom. I unbuckled my pants and sat on the toilet. "What was that noise? I'm coming in!" Mom said. She opened the door and saw me on the toilet. She laughed then she closed the door. "Nice save" I thought to myself.

I came out of the bathroom and saw mama making warm milk for baby Noah. I looked at Noah and his cheeks were red. He was breathing heavier than usual. I can tell mom was nervous and scared. "Esperanza, I think I may have to take Noah to get checked out. Watch your brother and your sisters till I get back, ok?" I nodded my head at my mom. I watch mom run to the car with Noah and the car seat in her hand. I waited till she left the driveway before I called my siblings down stairs. "Well, did you get to see your friend?" Rosalie said. I nodded and said, "yes, I did thank you!" Rosalie smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up. I had made them some snacks and waited for mom to get home. When she pulled up in the driveway, she had taken Noah out the car seat. I opened the door for my mom to come through. She put Noah in his baby crib. I've never seen mom in such fear before. "Mom, what did the doctor say?". She looked back at me. "The doctor said he has rapid breathing tachypnea!" She said rubbing baby Noah's hand. She told me and my siblings to head to bed. Mom stayed up all night to watch Noah. Next morning, me and mom were cooking and cleaning while the kids watched a movie. Mom had bumped into me a few times. She had bags under her eyes and she was moving weirdly. "Mom, go to bed! I've got this." Mom smiled and kissed my forehead. I watched her walk up the stairs and into her room. The kids played games all day while I did the cooking and cleaning. I called mom down for supper. After we ate dinner, I collected everyone's plate and took it in the kitchen to clean. I was so exhausted from cleaning, I flopped on my bed. I had thought of Edgar just before I slept. I had forgotten that I asked Edgar to meet up with me today. I felt Immediate regret. "I have to find a reason to go to the store tomorrow."

I woke up early in the morning just to find an excuse to go to the store. I went to the bathroom to find something that would give me a perfect reason to go to the store. I couldn't find anything. "Esperanza, I need to pick up Noah's medicine! Are you watching your siblings or coming with me?" She said. I opened the bathroom door and shouted yes. I rush to put clothes on and walked down the stairs.

"Are you ready?" Mom said. I nodded yes as I grabbed my mask. We headed out to the store. When we were looking for parking spots, I saw Edgar pushing carts back to the front. "Mom is Noah's Medicine the only thing we are getting out of here?" I said. Mom circled the parking lot about a few times. "Yes, we need to get Noah's medicine. She finally found a parking space. I looked back at Edgar and back at mom. "Mom can I stay in the car since we are not getting groceries?" I asked. She looked at me and took a breath. "Fine, locked the door okay!" I locked the door and waited for my mom to go into the store. I unlocked the door and I Jogged to Edgar. I got close to Edgar and tapped his shoulder. When he turned around, he was startled but he finally realized it was me. I apologized to him for not being able to go to the park the other day. He smiled and said, "It's fine, I put the tortillas on the bottom shelf for you!" I chuckled and gave him a hug. "Do you think we can meet at the park today?" He nodded and said yes. I looked at his phone. " Hey do you wanna call me sometime?" I said. He handed me his phone. I put my number in his phone. 

"See you there, Edgar!" I said waving and walking back to the car. Mom was coming out the store and I unlocked the door for her. She took off her mask and sanitized her hands before she pulled out of the parking lot. I was thinking about Edgar's smile. I could feel my face getting redder. Mom looked at me and asked me, "what's wrong honey?" I looked at her. "Mom, nothings wrong. I'm just thinking too much." She smiled. I was thinking about how I was going to see Edgar again without almost getting caught. We finally made it home. Mom walked upstairs to check up on Noah. I pulled Rosalie to the side again. She looked at me with her big brown eyes. I ask Rosalie to distract mom again for me to see a friend. Rosalie nodded and winked at me. Rosalie asked mom to help her with her homework. I waited for mom to follow Rosalie before I left the house. I walked to the park and sat on the bench me and Edgar sat on last time. I saw Edgar in the distance. He waved at me when he saw me. I held out my arms to hug Edgar. He hug me for a good minute then he let go. He took a seat on the bench. I asked him about how his day was going. "It's been good, how about yours?" He said. I answered him back saying, "It's going great!" Edgar looked up at the clouds and asked me a question. "Do you miss being at school with your friends?" 

"Yeah, but I've lost so many of my family members due to this virus! Plus, I think you would be my only friend I've got!" I said in a joking nervous laugh. He looked at me and said, "you don't have any friends?" I nodded yes to him. He put his hand on his head and told me he was sorry for asking me that question. I explained to him that I was never able to make friends that easily. He looked at his watch and asked if I needed to go home. "Edgar, can we call later since I have to go?" He nodded his head yes. I gave him a big hug. He smiled at me just before he left. I love that smile of his. I hurried up and ran back home. I saw Mom sitting on the porch waiting for me. I knew I was in serious trouble. I walked up to my house. Mom grabbed my arm and threw me in the house.

To be continued......