part three

"You what?!" Hoseok's screech of disbelief came through the telephone. Taehyung grimaced, placing a hand against the wall of his hallway, the phone's earpiece in his other hand.

Upon the Jeons' arrival, Taehyung forced on a smile and went on to greet them as if nothing was wrong. Neither Taehyung or you could meet each other's eyes, however, and the rest of his visit was plagued with unspoken awkwardness between the two of you.

Mrs. Jeon had, of course, invited Taehyung to stay for dinner but given the circumstances, he thought it best to decline her offer. He didn't want to make you any more uncomfortable than you already were. You didn't bring up the almost kiss, even when the two of you had a moment alone.

Taehyung didn't know what to make of your silence.

A day had passed by since his visit to the Jeon residence and he had every intention of never bothering you ever again and locking away the memory of the incident into his private mental folder of shame, but one restless sleep later, he found himself dialing up Hoseok to talk about it.

"I... leaned in to kiss her."

"You tried to kiss her. You tried to kiss her on the bed of her dead brother." Hoseok dead-panned.

"Yes." Taehyung whined shamefully.

"Dude."

"I know." The blonde boy sighed, a frown present.

"What were you even thinking?"

"I wasn't! I wasn't thinking! She was just so close to my face and, fuck, she was looking at me with these eyes and smelled like oranges and bubblegum—"

"Woah, do I need to hang up so that you and your hand can spend some alone time?" Hoseok joked. Taehyung eyelids lowered into a deadly glare, wishing the blue wallpaper he was staring at was his friend's face.

"Fuck you, I should've called Jimin."

"Oh, please, Jimin's a total sap. His hippie ass would've spewed some shit about free love and chasing your happiness." Hoseok insisted through a laugh.

Taehyung raised an eyebrow, "Probably, but at least he knows what love is."

"I know what love is." Hoseok replied coldly.

Taehyung couldn't help let out an amused laugh, "Hobi, the only time you fall head over heels is when you pass by a mirror."

Surprisingly, instead of the quick and clipped rebuttal that Taehyung was expecting, he was met with silence, background noise seeping through telephone from Hoseok's end.

Taehyung frowned. Was he... wrong?

"Hoseok?" He pressed, unnerved at his friend's muteness.

"...Yeah?" The man in question finally responded, sounding hesitant.

"Are you? In love with someone, I mean?"

"W-What? No, man."

Taehyung thought to himself for a moment before replying, "Is it that girl you met at that disco? Eva?"

He didn't know much about the pretty blonde other than she showed the same interest in the underground dance craze that Hoseok did. Well that, and that she clearly was as attracted to Hoseok as he was to her as Taehyung once found the two of them getting it on in the backseat of Hoseok's car.

The way her wide, horrified blue eyes meet his was among the many memories Taehyung hid away in his mental locker of shame.

A small noise left Hoseok's mouth, as if he was going to say something but suddenly lost courage.