Chapter 1 I fight a living mannequin

chapter 1                             I fight a living mannequin

Theodore AKA Theo lives with and works on his parent’s farm. Theo lives outside the city of Barburus and is the son of Hermes. The only thing his dad left behind was his pair of flying shoes. Every year the king of Barburus elects seven of the strongest demigods to destroy the mysterious force which only demigods know it’s the Manticore which is a half scorpion half lion with wings.

Theo hadn’t been picked yet but he has been growing stronger and stronger working at the farm. The king uses a certain technique to test the demigods to see if they can handle the Manticore. The demigods have to defeat 5 mythical monsters to pass the test. Theo told his mother about the journey he wanted to take to Barburus to compete in the coliseum for a chance to destroy the Manticore.

 His mother told him to take care and gave him a short dagger to use in the competition. So he bid his farewells and met up with his best friend Tobak the son of Apollo the only things his dad left behind for him was a set of bow and arrows and a flute. Tobak was also competing in the competition with Theo. The friends started making their way to Barburus when Tobak said, “My mother told me that the monster we fight first is called a Kludde.”

“What’s that?” said Theo.

 “It’s a giant black dog with blue flames around its head.” said Tobak.

 “Oh that’s nice.” said Theo.

They continued walking until they got to the glamourous city of Barburus. All the buildings had jewels on them mostly emerald.  

“Wow!” They both said in unison “it’s amazing” said Theo. “Look that’s the coliseum” said Tobak pointing at the huge arena. They both agreed to grab something to eat before the competition. They decided to go to a place called botargo palace and they both ordered botargos, which are salted fish eggs.

They finished their delicacies and they went to the coliseum to sign up for the competition. They went to the check in advisor and they told them their name, birth date, and the one and only weapon they could use. Tobak uses the bow and arrow and the flute which he always takes with him and Theo uses the dagger his mom gave him with the pair of flying shoes that his dad gave him.

“You barely made it,” said the check in advisor, “there were only two slots left”.

Theo felt a huge wave of relief come over him.

“That was close.” said Tobak.

“The two of you will be competing at eight P.M tonight. One more thing,” said the check in advisor “the monster you will be competing against tonight is called the Kludde. You will have to survive one night in a maze avoiding it, and it’s nocturnal.” said the check in advisor. “When the sun comes up we will ring the church bells and the Kludde will turn to stone.”

Theo and Tobak headed to the nearest inn to get checked in. They went up to the desk and Theo said “a room for two please”.

 The desk advisor asked “Are you two competing in the coliseum tonight?”

 “Yep.” said Theo

 “Eight P.M” Tobak chimed in.

 “Well we have special training room suite for competitors” said the desk advisor.

 “We will take one of those” said Tobak cheerfully.

 “Wait a minute,” said Theo.  “How much does it cost?”