It's Warm Tonight

"Richard, do you love me?"

"We're married, aren't we?"

"Richard, that was five years ago," Diane recalled.

"Why would I not love you? Are you going through your phase again?" Richard mumbled while watching the news.

It has been two months since they were intimate. Richard traveled on most weekends lately while Diane was busy running her company Ads Expert and expanding her Socialite circle. They either were worn out to actually get physical or too tired to talk about it. Diane has been feeling lonely the past year. Every time she tries to speak to her about it, Richard would cut the conversation and tell her whatever he thinks, she wanted to hear.

"Dame it, we're going on Lockdown. Thank God I predicted that this would happen. Got us two weeks of groceries this morning." Richard said.

"Richard, I want a divorce," Diane said in a single breath.

"Is this because of what you asked me earlier? I love you, Diane. Nothing's gonna change that. Is this about my weekend trip? You know I would never cheat on you. Why are you talking like that?" Richard said in disbelief and began to leave the room.

"Richard, I'm talking to you. Don't walk away and ignore me like I'm some pet," Diane raised her voice.

"I'm getting a glass of wine. I need to be intoxicated to have this conversation with you," Richard poured himself a glass of wine and drank the whole thing.

"So it's my fault now. I'm the crazy one?" Diane burst into tears.

"Wait a minute there. I didn't say that. You said it yourself. Now you play that victim-blaming game again," Richard pours himself another glass of wine.

"I've tried to have a conversation with you for months. You keep on shutting me down. Does this all look like a game for you? "Diane got up and went to her work bag to get a piece of paper. She threw it on the kitchen counter next to Richard. "I spoke to a lawyer, and these are the terms that I have set for us. You'll get your house back. I'll just take mine with me. It's like rewinding back to the time before we got together."

"Diane! Why do you always want to make the decision for both of us? Don't I have a say in this?" Richard was furious.

They began to exchange unflattering words to each other. It wasn't something that they were accustomed to.

Richard and Diane met in a book store right across the street. Richard had his first book signing gig. Diane was there to convince Richard that she could consult him on his book marketing projects. Diane didn't get to consult, but Richard still makes his time to meet up with her. They soon fell head over heels in love with each other. It took them three years before Richard proposed to Diane. They were only engaged for six months as they were eager to tie the knot. It was everything that both of them wanted. Many who witness the wedding would say that they didn't see what's coming.

"Richard, just stop! I don't want to argue anymore."

"Diane, you started this, and now it's my fault."

"I'm done with this. I'm done with us."

"Diane, NO! you can't walk away from me without us talking it out."

"We can't even talk to each other anymore. What has become of us?" Diane storm out of the kitchen and as the bedroom door slammed shut.

Richard was furious that he was to be blamed for everything that made Diane upset. He tried his best to manage the house while promoting his books. It's not his fault that the book signing is often on weekends. In summer, there were more people out on the weekends than usual. It was just for a few more months to keep the lights on and maintain their living expenses. Not that Diane is making great on her end. They basically had o split the bills, and most days, Diane has more tabs than he does. So he thought.