1.) Suhana

"Suhana!" calls my roommate from our joint bathroom. "Can you get me my oats from the fridge?"

Typical. Of course she's running even later than usual on our last day of classes before winter break.

I sigh, set my half-eaten bagel on the table, and go pull her meticulously layered overnight oats out of the fridge.

"Yeah, I got them!"

Rhea is what one could call a scatterbrained genius. She's an expert at almost everything she sets her mind to, but the one habit she's never been able to master is good time-management.

I turn around to see her scurrying out of the bathroom, throwing her bulging school bag over her shoulder. She leans over and gives me a quick hug.

"What would I do without you?" she says.

"Probably die hungry," I joke back.

She smiles and begins to pull me out the door by my wrist.

"Come on, we're gonna be late!"

"Hold on, hold on," I respond, trying to gather my own things without forgetting anything.

Once I've collected myself and all I need for today, I gesture at the door with my chin.

"Okay, now we can go," I say, when my phone screen lights up with an email notification. 

***

Notre Dame University Campus Closure

Dear Campus Community,

Due to winter storm warnings, anticipated icy conditions and significant travel impacts, Notre Dame University will cancel classes and suspend operations today, Friday, December 18.

Sincerely,

Notre Dame University Communications

***

Damn.

Still looking down at my phone, I reach out for Rhea's arm. I soon realize she's already out the door.

"Rhea!" I call, waving my phone at her. "Class is cancelled today because of the weather forecasts!"

She spins back around mid-stride, jaw dropped.

"Are you kidding? They did not cancel classes the day before winter break," she whines.

"They did. But look on the bright side! We have more time before we have to leave for the airport tonight."

"Great, you can pack and show up for your flight three hours early while watch every Christmas episode of Friends in my PJs."

I laugh and elbow her softly.

"Good plan."