Chapter One

I had been traveling and camping for weeks as I headed towards Winterfell. Only a few weeks prior, Ned Stark had been killed in King's Landing. In front of my own eyes, even. When I realized what was going to happen I fled the city, heading back home, to Winterfell. I had heard word that Robb was taking the fight to the Lannisters, for what they did to Ned. Robb was labeled the King in the North and had all the men and women in the North bending their knee to him. And so would I.

Robb had been my best friend for as long as I can remember. From the time I was dropped off at the gates of Winterfell, to the time I was knighted. If Robb wanted to avenge Ned against the Lannisters, then I would be there fighting with him. But...if I told myself that was the only reason I was returning, I'd be lying to myself. Robb may don a brave face and bring his anger down on the Lannisters, but I knew it was a facade. He needed support, even though he won't show it. He's hurting and he needs help, no doubt. I guess that's where I come in.

It had been days since I'd seen any of the usual landmarks that I use to track my journey. Days after days went by and the forest wasn't getting any shorter. I had stopped my journey one night, prepared to make camp and rest until morning when something caught my attention.

The distant sound of shouting and bells and clamoring. The sound of ensuing battle. I furrowed my eyebrows as I thought of the local cities, thinking of who could possibly be fighting. I sighed lightly, coming up with nothing, and standing up again. I pulled my leather hood over my head again and pulled my black wool mask over my nose, leaving only my eyes visible. I ran towards the sound of the battle, cautiously.

I neared the edge of a clearing and crouched down as I made my way through the brush and bushes. My dark colored armor kept me hidden in the dark of night. I squinted at the banners in the clearing to put a name to the combatants.

Red and blue. Lannister and Stark.

"Robb," I said to myself.

I made my way closer to where the dense population of bodies were gathered, where the sound of metal on metal and shouting sprouted. I looked into the crowds, examining the numbers. The Lannisters seemed to be losing, thankfully. I continued to examine the men as I searched. My eyes locked on someone in the crowd as I made connections. It was Robb. I pulled my bow off my back as I stood up from the brush.

I watched analytically as some of the Lannister men turned on Robb and began to descend upon him. He rose his sword, beginning to fight back. Struggling to hold them back. I drew an arrow and pulled it back on the string, lifting the bow to my eye. I took a breath in as I took aim, the let the arrow fly. It raced through the air and plunged into the chest of one of the men. I notched another arrow and repeated the process with another of the men, causing Robb to look over in my direction, before returning to his fighting. I put the bow back around my body, then drew my silver longsword. I ran into the battlegrounds, pushing back on men and women as I made my way to where Robb was fighting. I made my way into the small clearing of people he fought in and immediately pounced on one of the men. I swung at him roughly as he struggled to keep up with his parries. After he as pushed back far enough I leaned back and kicked him hardly in the chest. He crashed to the ground and I sunk my sword in his chest. I lifted my boot and slipped a dagger out, whirling around and throwing it in Robb's direction. It sunk into the head of another soldier, stopping him in his tracks. I turned back and pulled my sword out of the grounded soldier, then turned back to the battle.

I continued to fend off Lannister soldiers, taking the load off Robb. He whirled on me after he stabbed another soldier and lifted an eyebrow.

"Who the hell are you?" He said.

I smiled beneath my face mask a little, then stopped another oncoming soldier. I turned back to him after I was done with him and pulled my mask down, then my hood off. Robb's face morphed into shock after only a moment of looking at me.